1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 R6 won't start after sitting

Discussion in 'Tech' started by walt415, Sep 1, 2020.

1. walt415

walt415 Active Member

Hey Guys,

My 05 R6 was sitting in my garage for a long time (years, probably) and now it won't start. It won't turn over at all. The starter motor just goes and goes.

I put in a new battery and spark plugs. I took out the fuel rail and squirted gasoline through it, and made sure all the injectors were patent. The fuel pump squirts out gasoline when I turn on the ignition. I checked the main fuses and a couple under the seat, and they are all good.

I'm not getting any error codes on the display, and I don't seem to have any error codes when I go into diagnostic mode.

I'm stumped. What should I do next? Any help would be appreciated.

Best,
    Walt

2. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Just went through this with a Mille R.
    Replaced the injectors and started immediately.
    Your injectors are probably clogged.

3. walt415

walt415 Active Member

Thanks for the quick reply, L8RSK8R. I did squirt gasoline through the injectors, so they are at least patent. Is it possible that they are clogged even though gasoline can pass through them?

4. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Did you add fuel stabilizer before “storage?”

5. walt415

walt415 Active Member

@duc995: unfortunately, I didn't

6. WAracer19

WAracer19 New Member

I had this issue on an '04 myself. What worked for me was to hold the throttle wide open and hit the starter button. Apparently this tells the ECU to not run the injectors and turn the motor over. Mine was flooded. I guess this works on just about any injected engine.

7. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I just picked up an 06 750 that had been sitting a long time and ran into the same thing. Ended up having to have all 8 injectors cleaned and the fuel pump rebuilt. The stuff poured out of my gas tank looked like sweet tea from your local BBQ place

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

fuel under pressure is not likely to go bad. I would hope you turned the motor over to at least build fuel pressure. Injectors can be cleaned & serviced. You can try ether to see if motor starts. Also make sure all the coils are firing

9. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

If that’s true, that the starter spins without turning over the motor, you’ve got to solve that first?

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

sorry meant to say oil pressure

11. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Spray carb cleaner into throttle bodies while cranking and see if it sputters or runs for a few seconds.

PS, I changed the oil and plugs on the Mille before attempting to fire it up.

I'm in the same boat with a ZX6R.
    I'll get back to it soon.

12. walt415

walt415 Active Member

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your replies.

I put the bike in diagnostic mode and looked into the throttle bodies while the fuel injectors were supposed to be spraying fuel into them. I did not see any fuel spray coming out of any of the fuel injectors, so I am thinking the injectors are clogged.

I did try putting the throttle wide open and hitting the starter button, but it didn't work (thanks WAracer19).

@PistolPete: if the starter motor is working, shouldn't I be looking at air, fuel, and spark? That's the approach I'm taking.

@L8RSK8R: how do I spray carb cleaner into the throttle bodies while cranking? from the top, with the airbox off?

@TurboBlew: the coils are on the list

@Lawdog78: I may yet end up having my injectors serviced. the fuel pump sounds ok.

I'm going to try cleaning my injectors with carb cleaner next. If that doesn't work maybe I'll have to send them away to be serviced professionally.

Best,
    Walt

13. 23103a

23103a Well-Known Member

Carb cleaner won't do jack. Send them off to have them fixed up properly. On the west coast I use and recommend RC Fuel Injection.

14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Your fuel turned into jello in storage.

Take the advise above

15. walt415

walt415 Active Member

Hi Guys,

I cleaned out the fuel injectors with carb cleaner pretty good. There was a lot of spray coming through. I don't think it is clogged fuel injectors.

When I go into diag mode, I don't hear the fuel injectors firing.

Since the battery and the spark plugs are new, I think the problem is electrical.

According to the shop manual, the red/blue wires connect the Starting Circuit Cut-Off relay in back, by the ECU, to the injectors.

The following are the voltage readings at the red/blue wires at the following locations:

At fuel injectors: 14

In between the fuel injectors and the Starting Circuit Cut-Off relay: 2.3

At Starting Circuit Cut-Off relay: 14

At ECU: 14

Should the red/blue wires in between the fuel injectors and the Starting Circuit Cut-Off relay have 14 volts running through them? Do you think the problem is somewhere between the Starting Circuit Cut-Off relay (in the back of the motorcycle, by the battery and the ECU) and the connectors with the red/blue wires with 2.3 volts? If so, do I replace that entire section of wire?

Best,
    Walt

16. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Clearly some language issues here.

Walt- please in detail explain how you "I cleaned out the fuel injectors with carb cleaner pretty good. There was a lot of spray coming through. I don't think it is clogged fuel injectors."

Understanding this will help with,

"When I go into diag mode, I don't hear the fuel injectors firing.

Cheers

17. walt415

walt415 Active Member

I removed the fuel injectors from the fuel rail. I attached progressively larger tubes from the small red tube of the carb cleaner spray can to the fuel injector. I attached alligator clips to a 9 volt battery and the other ends to the fuel injectors. I could hear the fuel injectors clicking open. I sprayed carb cleaner through the fuel injectors while they were open.

18. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Thanks. just wanted to make sure you injectors were actually capable of passing some fuel. Since you are into the electrical part, take a look a this. Might help.

19. walt415

walt415 Active Member

Hi Emry,

Thank you. That video gave me a better understanding of the wiring. What I learned from it is that each fuel injector is connected to the power side (red/blue wire, connected to the Starting Circuit Cut-Off relay) and the ground side (connected to the ECU). I tested the the power and the ground wires at each of the fuel injectors and got about 14 volts in all 8 of the wires. But this is after hot-wiring the Starting Circuit Cut-Off relay, because I fried the internals trying to test the continuity (battery leads touched).

So on Monday the new Starting Circuit Cut-Off relay is arriving, and I'll try again.

Best,
    Walt

20. walt415

walt415 Active Member

Hi Guys,

My replacement Starting Circuit Cut-Off relay arrived yesterday, so now my fuel pump works again, and I'm back to where I started, with fuel injectors that do not fire. But I did confirm in the meantime that both the wires going into the fuel injectors have battery voltage (13 volts), so it is possible for them to fire. They just are not getting the signal to fire.

So my current question is: What part of the fuel injection system is responsible for telling the fuel injectors to fire? Is it the ECU? Could the ECU have failed, while sitting in my garage for years, never being used?

Best,
    Walt