1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid tire question

Discussion in 'General' started by Potts N Pans, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I have a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid and the tires currently on it are 185/70 R14 with OEM rims

I just acquired a set of tires from a 2001 Honda Accord with new 195/70 R14 tires on it.

Can I put the 195/70 R14 tires on my Civic and not have any issues?

Years ago I had a 89 240SX and when from a 185 to a 215...but I think the profile went down. I'm hoping to put these new tires on and ship this Civic back to the States when I get my new assignment.

Thanks in advance

2. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Slightly wider, with same 70% tire height means the tires will be slightly taller....as in, for every tire rotation you will travel a bit further....your speedo will be off by a bit, but other than that, that tire size change is negligible...

3. Potts N Pans

I'm only worried about the clearance in the wheel wells. I figured the 195 should be fine but wanted more knowledgeable folks take on this swap.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

7mm total difference in size, so only 3.5mm in "reach" to wheel wells. The variance between tires of exactly the same size across brands and models is wider than that. You'll be totally fine.

5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Isn't the 2004 Civic Hybrid the one that makes close to the same mpg as the non hybrid one ?

6. Potts N Pans

And with that wider footprint...I'm taking it to the Nurburgring! :beer:

7. Rebel635

Shots FIRED!!!

8. Potts N Pans

Not sure, but I was getting 60mpg out near Garmisch (Germany/Austria mountains border area)

9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That's pretty good. I know there was a model year that dramatically underperformed and resulted in civil suits against Honda.

10. Potts N Pans

I got it for 1400 bucks in May and I now get gas every 5/6 weeks.

It is clean and runs great. The owner before me couldn't ship it back since he was already shipping his restored Defender back...so I got a smoking deal:D

BigBird likes this.
  11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

websites that sell tires or ones for large tire shops usually show all the sizes that fit common vehicles. Discount Tire's site says 195/70 will fit.

Potts N Pans and BigBird like this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why would you bother shipping it back?

BigBird likes this.
  13. Potts N Pans

I can use it at my next duty station and benefit from the great fuel economy.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Is the shipping free? Why not just sell it and buy another whatever at your next station?

15. Potts N Pans

Yep, I get one vehicle shipped included in my PCS. Car is paid for, in great condition, and very cheap to operate.

16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Your doing it wrong. Kids these days would put like a 90mm wide tire on that rim so it pops out and can look all "stanced" bro

Potts N Pans and BigBird like this.
  17. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I don't know about the Civic, but the 2005-2007 Accord V6 Hybrid was only 1 MPG better that the straight 4 cylinder Accord.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  18. Rebel635

You insane? The amount of awesome cars driving around Europe and you're being back something you can buy here? Your buddy did it right. You're snickering at him giving away the Civic but that defender he bought over there for 10k? It's worth a 100k in US.

BigBird likes this.
  19. Potts N Pans

He put 37k Euros into a full restore and 3 days before he was flying out, US customs emailed him saying his Defender could not enter the US. He had to do a ton of hoop jumping and a power of attorney for it to ship out a month after he reported to the SGM Academy.

I drove it to drop it off for shipment, and it was not my cup of tea. It was nice to look at, but not a thrill to drive. Slow as piss, loud as hell in the cabin.

I will take the hybrid :D

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The Land Rover Defender is one of the many over hyped shit boxes.