1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 Schedule... 9 or 10 Events?

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by SClark, Sep 30, 2002.

1. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

With the birth of Beaver Run, we, the endurance masses, are given the opportunity to have a 10-Event season, instead of 9.
    (Maybe even 11, if we get a 12 or 24 hour.)

I haven't been around long enough to know how it has come to pass that there are currently only 9 events, so any enlightenment is welcome.

Questions:
    1. Is Beaver Run a Nat'l track?
    2. What negative effects would adding a 10th event cause?
    3. Is there a need/desire to drop a current track and add Beaver Run instead?
    (I didn't go to LA or FL, so I don't know their condition first hand.)

Personally, I think 10 events would be good, as long as they're nicely spread out across 8 months.(i.e. No back-to-back weekends would be nice.)

So, please chime in about increasing the schedule, and what you would like to see.

2. aod99

aod99 Administrator

PA caused the problems originally

We used to have ten races.

Last year we were to have ten but there was a TBA that was never A.

This year we just had nine to begin with.

I don't really care if we have nine or ten race but I think the following tracks make up a nice schedule:

North Florida
    Talladega
    Road Atlanta
    VIR
    Summit Point
    Texas World
    Putnam Park (although I wish they would let WERA run practice so it is not a cluster fuck)
    Roebling (although it is pretty torn up)

New Tracks which would be neat to try:
    Barber
    Beaver Run

Old Tracks it would be nice to return to:
    Grattan (if we can get back in there)
    Las Vegas Classic (if they would return phone calls)

We could lose NPR from the schedule. It was alright and everything but there really are a LOT of walls there.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Beaver Run - no national. The pit exit is evidently not what we could use for an Endurance race - I'll confirm this in person sometime this off season post GNF. I have asked for 2-3 dates there and they should be back to me by the end of the month.

Overall I'm hoping for 9-10 events.

Definites for 03 in no particular order:

NFMP
    Summit
    GNF
    Putnam (pending confirmation form the track)
    Talladega
    VIR Cycle Jam
    TWS (whaddya think of April rather than late August?)

Hopefuls:

Barber (DUH!)
    No Problem - if we can do a different pit lane
    Gingerman - waiting to hear back from them
    Grattan - not likely so long as they are running their own series
    Beaver Run - if the pit lane will work
    Mid-Ohio (no chance that I know of but I am hopeful)

Place I'd like to possibly run a night race:

Road Atlanta - good for spectators
    Talladega - easy to light all of it
    Willow - what can I say, if they can put up a decent purse I still think it's worth the publicity for the series and the teams
    VIR - we've already got a date the week before the AMA race and it might be fun - I'm just concerend about the cresting of hills making for blind corners

4. aod99

aod99 Administrator

The one time we were at TW early in the season there was water coming up through the track all over the place. Other than that, I am all for cooler weather in Texas so I think it is worth it to try again.

The pit lane didn't bother me at NPR. It was the inability to signal the pits from the track, and the walls. There really are a lot of walls there.

Gingerman, I can take it or leave it. I suppose it is a nice track but it always seems sort of depressing when we go there.

Mid-Ohio. I assume this it out but what about combining a WERA national with the fasttrack series at Nelson's. Mix it up a little.

Willow sucks. There is no pay off for the teams. None. We burned through a huge amount of resources for no return. I mean, I know I just described racing in general but a Willow 24 is worse than most. Instead of having the 24 at Willow how about you charge all the teams $1,000 to not have the 24 at Willow. That gets you some sponsor money and saves each team about $18,000 each.

Talladega would be great for race into darkness. Vir would be a little scary but no worse than turn six at willow.

5. MotoMadman

MotoMadman Mr. Moto Riding

I didn't find it so unbearable at TWS this year. Heck, it was way more uncomfortable at Summit just a few weeks prior. Personally, I'd rather train for the heat than watch for water seeping through the track.

I don't know about depressing, but I always found Gingerman fun to ride.

And I can just imagine six hours at Mid O, when everybody's tires start to wear out, and the concrete seams eat everyone's bikes. Better have lots of crash trucks. :eek:

6. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Hopefuls:

Barber (DUH!)
    No Problem - if we can do a different pit lane
    Gingerman - waiting to hear back from them
    Grattan - not likely so long as they are running their own series
    Beaver Run - if the pit lane will work
    Mid-Ohio (no chance that I know of but I am hopeful)

Sean, no way to get Road America, or Mid America Complex,I heard it was a cool track? Is no one running Topeka anymore?

7. flyboy

flyboy Guest

if you guys think about coming to west coast I think Thunderhill park would be place to go.
    AFM used to hold 4hr race there for last few years(except this year it was at Sears).
    track is safe,fast and long(3.5 miles).
    I am sure grids would be full with local teams,we had over 60 teams for 4hr.

8. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

That sucks about Beaver Run.

Texas wasn't bad. I was really hoping it would be a little hotter. You know... find out who's really in shape, and who's been eating too many Twinkies.

9. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Old & slow

More Regional Diversity!

Mid America is an incredible track. 2.3 miles, perfect surface, a reasonably technical layout. Plenty of run-off but they are working on some drainage problems. The track stays dry but the run-off areas turn into mud if there has been a rain. The one hurdle for running endurance is the pit entrance is narrow and has walls on both sides. Check it out at www.midamericamotorplex.com.

And what about Topeka?

10. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

I think we need a lot more than a different pit lane to go back to that place. I agree that there are waaaaay too many walls there. I for one wouldn't shed a tear if we didn't go back there. ;)

I'd much rather race at Barber instead. :cool:

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Topeka - we don't have enough riders in the area to supplement a National and pay the bills. We have run there in the past and it was pretty cool.

12. joey-95v

joey-95v Registered

Road Atlanta at night.... :eek:

13. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Mongo, check out Nasville Superspeedway, pretty good for a roval, not many walls, great garage facilities, has lights for a night race. I just spent three days there wailing on Vipers, thought it would be cool on a bike.

14. ethridge72

ethridge72 Well-Known Member

Hey Sean - What about Roebling?

15. PKS Racing Services

PKS Racing Services Timing and Crewing

You better hide in the back yard with the dog, Billy; I'll be stopping by your house to smack you for even suggesting Roebling at night. :D

16. WERA29

That wouldn't be bad if they used the same lights they use for Petit Le Mans to light up the whole track.

And Pam, smack Billy for me too. ;)

17. ethridge72

ethridge72 Well-Known Member

Roebling would have to run during the day. Too many houses around, they probably wouldn't like the noise after dark.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm hoping to go up there tomorrow.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lost too much money but it's not 100% off the schedule.

20. WERA29

Please keep Roebling off the National schedule. :)