1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 Audi A4, sat for 2 years, need help with reviving

Discussion in 'General' started by masshole, Apr 27, 2013.

1. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I have a 2003 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T on my hands, the car was owned by my mom and parked (abandoned really) and not touched in two years.
    She gifted the car to me recently and now it's my headache, I'm just trying to start it up, put back on the road again and most likely sell.

The car was in perfect running condition before being parked, slightly under 80K on the odometer.

Fuel in the tank without stabilizer for two years, dead battery by now I'm sure, a couple of low tires.

What's the proper way to revive this thing?

Thanks

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Empty tank, refill. Charge battery. Drive.

3. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Siphon the fuel out of the gas cap or try to get to the pump maybe? What's my best bet to get most of the gunk out?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno, marine style squeeze bulb on a couple chunks of line is what I use. Just drop the inlet end through the cap, the other end in a fuel can and squeeze the bulb til the flow starts and off you go. Probably isn't much in the tank itself in two years, get it running and put some SeaFoam fuel treatment through it and just drive it. Then if you do have issues fix as they appear.

5. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I'll give that a try, thanks. I have two siphons that I use for the bikes, hope they can do the job.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Change the oil and the shit above.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Charged/ replace the battery and see if it starts. No sense in going further than you really have to. Filling the tank after getting it started may be all you need to do to dilute the bad fuel.

8. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Will do, thanks.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

After all that: Fill it up with premium, check the brake fluid (might want to swap it) and if it runs, take it out for a nice mild cruise.

Once up to temp and if it's running okay, brakes work and you're confident . . . run it HARD. If it doesn't blow up, you're good.

10. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Don't siphon,you'll screw up the fuel gauge.

Drop the tank instead.

11. Jason748

Jason748 Race Junkie

If the timming belt hasn't been changed... Change it!!! It's not a pretty site when they go on the on the 1.8T...

12. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

+1234290483204820

13. zbunny

zbunny Well-Known Member

If you run the tank of gas that is in it, make sure you change the fuel filter.

Potential failures are the water and fuel pumps, on that model, too.

If the car is musty, change the cabin filter and put activated charcoal under the seats for a few days.

Did the tires dry rot?

Good luck.

14. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

15. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Both of these. The owners manual will say just over 100k, but there was a recall or whatever you want to call it that changed it to 80. Is the car Quattro? Manual or auto?

Also, it might seem trivial, but you probably will want to replace the dipstick tube.

16. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Fuel filter, if it has one, has to go. Fuel pump and fuel injectors will not like pumping the remaining sludge through the lines.