1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2000 BMW K1200LT Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Kev59, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Found a 100K mile example cheap. ABS doesn't work & it's a little beat up. What's the worst that could happen?

2. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

My front brake lines started leaking at about 60,000 put stainless lines on it, other than it's 835 pounds and you have to remove fuel tank to get to the air filter I like mine

3. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

great machines. 100k mikes is low enough miles on a BMW brick. Worst that could happen is needing a clutch......

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Why not just get a Ford if you're looking for a Light Truck? :Poke:

badmoon692008, Sabre699 and ZimZam like this.
  5. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

Clutch is likely OK. They have a tendency to eat final drives, but it's generally limited to the big bearing and it's pretty easy to fix. PM if you want some tips on it.

Solid bikes, a good year IMO...ABS failure could be anything, including a bad battery that's currently in it. abs brain isn't to expensive to replace or repair anymore...

Suspension is dead. TFX or Hyperpro...I'm digging TFX currently though. Ted Porter's BMW Shop.

6. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Solid bike? Havent read many good things on the K1200.

Just recently purchased an ultra low mileage Electra Glide that fit my budget.

Do A LOT of research On those bikes before you pull that trigger!

7. vance

vance *

Bought an 02 with 32k miles, brake line burst that day on the ride home, replaced them all. Heard the stories of final drive failures, but put a new battery in it, new tires and rode it almost 2000 miles all over CO, NM, AZ and UT. Wife says it was more comfortable than our 2012 Goldwing. Did great on the tour, dropped it pulling it off the trailer when we returned. It's top heavy, real top heavy. If the mirror had not hit the license plate holder on the trailer, it wouldn't have even scratched the bike. For me it was too big and too top heavy for the occasional cruise around town in traffic so I sold it.
    Also, I couldn't find any accessories for the tour. I fabricated my own highway pegs and armrests for the passenger seat.

8. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Had one and enjoyed it. Great for eating up the miles 2-up and even bouncing from town to town. Not so good at low speed maneuvering; as mentioned it's bulky and top heavy. Don't be spooked if it smokes when you start it. If it's on its side stand for a while the oil seeps past the rings and into the cylinders. Just the nature of the K engines being sideways mounted. Cheap fix, use the centerstand, at the risk of getting a hernia. They're a lot of bike for the money.

9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

It’s a BMW Motorcycle. It sucks ass, parts are expensive, it’s not really fast, not very valuable, kr sucks ass and it’s a BMW.

This is coming from someone who works on Ducati every single day...

10. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

When's the last time you posted up about something that performs as it should? Nobody does! Biggest issue is FD...but a bit overblown on the interwebs. No question, you can find the rare issues, but generally speaking, the K-series of motorcycles PRIOR to the transversely mounted motors, where some of the most reliable motorcycles build. I personally have somewhere around 300K on them WITH NO failures.

11. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Doing a little research goes a long way. I was interested in the BMW until i read some of their forums and followrd a few issues.

You can turn plenty if crappy bikes into good ones if you spend enough...

CMRA 270 likes this.