1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 year old truck is rusting

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Jun 26, 2019.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Is the frame rusting out from under the truck?
    Oh, you said Dodge not Toyota.

2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

for clarification... rail dust is just a term for, steel particles that embed themselves onto other surfaces. 95% of what you see on automobiles is semi metallic brake dust from your, or other vehicles, that attach themselves via water (rain), or airborne contact, while in daily use.

AGAIN... IT IS ALL MAINTENANCE. IF YOU DONT REGULARLY CLEAN, AND PLACE A BARRIER BETWEEN THE FINISH AND THE CONTAMINANTS... YOUR AUTO FINISH, PANELS, AND FRAME, WILL FAIL FASTER, THEN ONE THAT IS TREATED, AND MAINTAINED. Ski

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree, rail dust is from trains and transport and mostly found on upper surfaces of cars (hoods, top of fenders/flares) where particles can land basically. Have only seen it a handful of times since PDI's are suppose to be carried out well before it becomes an issue. I've also never seen brake dust rust a wheel, even from cars that never see a wash aside from the occasional person that grinds the pad backing into the rotor trying to save himself from a brake job. Not saying some cant be from pads however. Living in the same climate as the OP i know what he's referring too as i deal with the same problem on the last two of my personal white trucks. I've cleaned it in spring, it returns only after winter and I've questioned what causes it myself and realized it's from the plows after every winter. Follow a plow down a road at night, all you see is a shower of sparks. It might be a annoying thing on a southern car but on a northern car it looks like shit. :(

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

This.

It’s not the body panel rotting, it’s iron-based impurities that have embedded in the outer layer of the car’s finish.

I may not have 600 years of auto body experience, but I’ve had a fuckload of white vehicles.

skidooboy likes this.
  5. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Grease threat it.
    That's what I do up here in Canada :)

6. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

i live in michigan, and only own white trucks since 97, we are basically saying similar things. metal from your vehicle, or another vehicle, train, or other over land transport, or while in use... landing on your vehicle, and bonds with your vehicle, without immediate, and proper cleaning, causing the small pinpoint rusting orbs on the autos finish. it is called rail dust from your explanation (when a lot more cars were sent overland, by rail) but, in reality it is metallic debris, that lands on your auto and bonds to the finish... then makes a pinpoint "rusting spot" on top of the automotive finish.

and yes, i have saw it from auto brakes needing attention but, not through to the rotor/drum, (when they are through the rotor/drum, gets REALLY BAD, REALLY FAST, AND MAKES A LOT OF WORK FOR SOMEONE. the train thing is the same thing, the metal from train brakes, metal train wheels, on metal train tracks, causing airborne metal dust, that adheres to the finish. your explanation of other contaminants, from plows makes sense too... metal particles from grinding a plow blade, and air brakes dragging on plow rigs would have the same affect, of making "rail dust" causing the dreaded "rusting particles" on automotive finishes. Ski

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

+1 on fluid film

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really