1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 year old truck is rusting

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

^^^This.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

15 years...zero rust...only one failed part...

They don't all go to shit. Climate/driving conditions and Owner maintenance/care play a big part. I wouldn't expect a truck driven in northern winter conditions to be as good as a vehicle in the south or south west given the same amount of owner care. Manufacturer is largely irrelevant.

cav115 likes this.
  3. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

17's had some good issues. My company truck is a 2017 Ram and both bumpers rusted quick. The dealership when I came in said "is it a 2017, yeah they had issues". They replaced them no problem, now I'm noticing the cab rusting.. but it gets turned here in a few months so I'm not going to stress. I'm sure you can warranty it since it seems to be known issue. Then I suggest selling it. Dodge seems to always have rust problems. You still should have some good value in it being 2 years old.

4. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I think I’m gonna at least give the clay bar route a try. The rail dust issue makes sense because all these spots are on the lower half of the truck, everything else is fine.

I don’t wanna get rid of it since I really like the truck and I usually hang onto vehicles for a good long time. It’ll be paid off in a year too, I hate having vehicle payments so that also factors into it. That said, I’m not gonna roll around in some rusty ass shitbox.

BigBird likes this.
  5. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

30 pairs of rear tires...

Shenanigans likes this.
  6. Venom51

Maybe...

Actually no. I think in total it's had 4 sets of tires put on it but you aren't getting away from gas, tires and brakes on that one. :D

7. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

After living in Detroit for 10 years, I can absolutely say that Dodge trucks rust out faster and more regularly than Ford or Chevy. This is just my experience, but I'm sure some other people from the salt belt can chime in. Granted, taking it through an underbody car wash weekly is part of my routine, which greatly minimizes rust.

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I have a 17 white 2500 too.. I would like to see the pics to check mine..good chance they were built together.. I am in the South so no salt on roads..

9. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Well at least it doesn't have the rocker panel problem GM has. Nothing like the engineers not making the drain holes in the rockers big enough to let dirt come out. Nope, gatta make them tiny so the dirt then clogs up the drains and then the rockers rust inside out. Once it starts, no stopping it. Hell starting to see 900 series Silverados/sierras rockers going bye bye.

Best one is the guy at work with the recycled pepsi can F150 that has bubbled paint all over it. He loved to brag how his truck wont rust.:crackup:

Take it back to the dealer and pitch a fit about it. 2yrs old shouldnt even be showing rust even in WI.

10. Adam.B

Adam.B Member

Check your warranty. Manufacturers have a paint corrosion warranty that’s typically time based. Doesn’t hurt to bring it to a dealer.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

It’s rail dust. Buff the fuck out of it and put a paint sealant on.

cav115 likes this.
  12. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

13. Venom51

14. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Have a ‘16 i bought new. It has 67k miles on it now, mostly highway. Now, i have a little bit of under body rust. Im in Delaware. The paint is holding up just fine. Now, i wash and wax the shit out of my truck. And just before winter, i put a year long wax on. After a snow storm, i go and power wash everything off of my truck. Its a diesel, my goal is 500k plus on this motor. My biggest battle is the body and trans.

cav115 likes this.
  15. blue03R6

blue03R6 Well-Known Member

I've seen dozens of newer ford F150's rusting out in the rear wheel wells. look like 2012s and newer to me.

16. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

jesus christ people... invest in some rustproofing, undercoating like fluid film, ziebart, oil, lanolin based product, or anything to protect the investment UP FRONT, BEFORE THE FIRST SNOW. then every fall BEFORE THE FIRST SNOW... RECOAT IT. pay special attention to the bottom of the doors, fenders, rockers, tail gate, and wheel opening areas. hell some people just spray their used motor oil on the body and frame.

95% of rust issues are from LACK OF MAINTENANCE! spraying off once every week or so, is not enough to prevent corrosion from starting or stopping, you need a barrier. the rinsing, and support of the barrier, from time to time, will protect the body and frame ALOT BETTER, than rinsing, or nothing at all.

the bubbling on the newer aluminum body vehicles is from galvanic corrosion (cross metal contamination), most likely from prep at the factory or body shop level, at some point in the autos life. when that starts.... THERE IS NO PERMANENT FIX, it is time to replace the panel.

30 years in the collision repair industry. Ski

KneeDragger_c69, cav115 and MELK-MAN like this.
  17. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

It might be what they call rail dust; tiny particles that get embedded in the paint during transport that take some time to “resurface”. When they do, they rust.

18. BC

BC Well-Known Member

My pops used to have his cars oil sprayed and then hit a dirt road @ 80MPH . That was in NE Ohio years ago. He would also coat the bumpers and chrome with cosmoline. His cars looked much better than similar ones that didn't do something to prevent rust from the salt on the roads.

19. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

It's not "rail dust" it's from the snow plows. The plow blades grinding on the asphalt all winter get in the snow and that shit gets kicked up on the paint and sticks and beds in and eventually you get that residual rust. Yea, you can clay bar the steel specs out but it probably won't get the rust stain off the paint without some rubbing compound or something. I did mine one year and said fuck it the rest, buy a colored truck and you wont see it, although its still there!.

cav115 likes this.
  20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

This.

Not a dodge problem. Any truck in that much winter and salt will suffer.

The new dodges are very good that way if kept clean..You should see the bottom of the fords, even in ohio.