1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(2) 2015 Yamaha R3 racebikes

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by Tristan, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Had a blast racing these this year, but as always I'm ready to try something new...

The blue "A" bike was purchased new from a dealer by me, never titled (I have the MSO) $5500 firm
    The black "B" bike was purchased with minimal cosmetic damage and has a salvage title. $4000 firm

These bikes have everything you need, and nothing you don't.
    Dynojet PCV mapped by JD Hord
    Full exhaust from a little shop in Indonesia
    no-name clip ons, rearsets, rotary damper
    Spears 415 chain and sprockets, 2 different rears
    Ohlins shock
    cartridge fork internals
    minimalist bodywork
    emissions crap removed, blockoff plates

Bikes are set up the same with the following exceptions:
    A bike has-
    R3 replica race tail
    old school front plate with CBR250 race screen adapted
    Matris cartridge fork internals installed and set up by Forks by Matt
    Ohlins R3 shock reworked by Ohlins USA with internal spacers removed to add 7mm length and shim stack adjusted for stiffer damping (the damping was pretty good off the shelf but was set at or near full stiff for my 170 lbs, now I'm in the middle of adjustments.
    Mapped by JD Hord for MR12, produced 42 HP. Map for 87 octane available, makes 39 HP
    "crash" history- first round this season an SV passed me and immediately crashed; my bike basically "surfed" on top of his and suffered almost no damage

B bike has-
    CBR250 race tail adapted
    old school front plate with R3 race screen
    GSXR cartridge fork internals installed and set up by Forks by Matt, custom caps with damping adjusters in cap- I can't tell any difference from the Matris kit
    Ohlins R3 shock
    Mapped by JD Hord for 87 unleaded, produced 39 HP. Map for MR12 octane available, makes 42 HP

A bike won 2016 WERA regional championship in DSS and placed 7th in R3 cup, turning 1:45's with my old, slow butt on it. I have no doubt the cup race winner could have won on either of these bikes.

I have some of the stock bodywork from both bikes, but not all you would need to put back to street (and it would be a travesty to do so...)

Have tons of stock and aftermarket spares, will put together a package to suit your needs.
    Have one spare rear wheel, only available when the 2nd bike sells.

It won't make me sad if these don't sell, the R3 is very capable track/race bike and I have had a great time racing them.

Action pics I have are too big to load onto Photobucket, I can email them to you. Will get some static shots asap and post them.

2. Tristan

located in Columbus, OH zip 43207

3. Tim Downing

Tim Downing Racer811

4. Tristan

minor correction- "A bike won 2016 WERA National Sportsman championship in DSS"

5. Tristan

sent a couple, let me know if they come thru ok and I'll send more

6. Tristan

7. Tristan

[​IMG]

jpratt847 likes this.
  8. Tristan

9. Tristan

The blue bike will come with the original blue wheels, spare rear is mounted in pics.

10. Tristan

FYI- the bikes are mostly naked not just cause I'm cheap... the available bodywork for them would require the bars being several inches higher than they are now to clear, or substantial cutting of the bodywork. IMO the aero advantage to be gained would not offset the weight gained at the 115 mph or so that the bikes can do. As they are set up, the riding position is very comfy for my 6' height, much more so than any 600.

11. Tristan

Buy both and I'll throw in every spare I have. Having the 2 bikes worked out great- I never actually needed the backup bike, so I let my friend race it...so even in lightly attended races I always had *someone* to race!

JBall likes this.
  12. Littlehat

Littlehat Well-Known Member

Just curious where you got your front fairing stay and brackets. Seems like a cool idea

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

13. Tristan

Number plate was heated and bent to use factory stay holes, and I made a simple bracket for the bottom of the plate.

14. Tristan

I later added the cut-down screens, just cut the bottoms off and riveted them to the plates. Rock solid and provide a useful pocket to tuck behind

15. Tristan

Before adding the screens I had to lift the front end to get out of the wind...
    [​IMG]

ok, not really

16. Tristan

Blue bike has 950 miles total, black has 1400

17. SCobraVT99

SCobraVT99 Well-Known Member

Please email pics and complete spares list to zmmorris at gmail dot com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Tristan

Link to pics is a few posts up. Any more specific pics you need, let me know.

Spares off the top of my head-
    complete set of aftermarket rearsets
    stock rearsets (2 sets)
    rear wheel with rotor
    cush drive (2)
    original 520 chain and sprockets (2 sets)
    levers
    set of rain tires (same Dunlops used for the 390 cup bikes)
    DOT takeoffs good for several trackdays or novice pace racing

19. Tristan

I love the custom made strapless stands, but would sell them with the bike(s) for $200 each or both for $300

20. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

These are fun bikes for sure, and very capable (they show you where you lack cornering speed compared to the kids!). I rode the black bike in 7 ESS races, and only practiced on it one session each day I rode it. Although Tristan has the mileage at 1400, I figure I put maybe 250 track miles on it, and I think he rode it one weekend. The rest of the miles are street since it was a salvage.

Thanks for the ride Tristan, it was a gas!