1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1989 Yamaha FZR 400 FS

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by ricracer16, Oct 24, 2019.

1. ricracer16

ricracer16 Well-Known Member

1989 Yamaha FZR400 - Bike is ready to race. This bike was built early this year for the AHRMA Next Gen Superbike Lightweight class SpeedWerks. The bike is fast. I was still learning how to ride it, and unfortunately I didn’t get to do any track days with it to get my head on how to get the best out of it. I only got to do races at NJMP where I scored a 6th in both Saturday and Sunday’s races. My next races were at Road America where I have never turned a wheel before and have only had a chance to learn about the track using an old Xbox video game. I scored my first podium on Saturday with a 2nd place and followed that with a 4th in Sunday’s races but was 6 seconds faster. The entire field was quicker but it was nice to see that the bike was plenty capable and I think my gearing was off as well.

I’m selling this bike to fund my next project which is starting over the winter.

I’m asking $6500 as is with everything including 2 spare bins with OEM parts and a spares track bin with clip-ons, woodcraft rearsets, wheels, and rotors. I can lower the price if I remove some expensive bits like bodywork, front master cylinder and the like. Please PM directly for information. The bike is located in Brooklyn NY with clean title.

Engine

Has been gone through and is fresh as of May 2019. With a new intake and exhaust cam and sprocket. It also has new oil pump, all bearings, seals, gaskets, and piston rings.

Total loss system - Factory Pro side cover, BDK ignition rotor and adjustable timing pickup

Kawasaki ZX600R radiator

Custom wiring harness which retains electric start

Black widow custom exhaust purchased new directly from the UK

Electronics

Koso GP gauge

Adjustable Quick shifter

New start and mil switch

Chassis

Steering damper

Vortex clip-ons

Woodcraft brake protector

Brake lever is foldable

Clutch lever is foldable

Motion Pro Rev2 quick turn throttle

Swingarm is 3tj

Underslung captive rear caliper bracket

Subframe is a very light aluminum 1WG SP

Custom exhaust hanger

Tank cover is an aluminum 1WG SP

Aftermarket rearsets

Race tech fork sprint kit with RT Gold Vale Emulators, Bell-Ray Fork oil

Spring rear Fox rebuilt

SV650 rear wheel new powder coat white

FZR 1K front wheel new powder coat white

Brembo RCS master cylinder with remote adjuster

Front R6 calipers

SBS DC Pads with R6 calipers with steel lines front and rear

Custom front brake lines from Coremoto

Steel brake lines rear

New Chain and Sprockets

Bodywork

Bodywork upper and lower are fzr 400 3tj and tail unit is a yzf 750

New custom paint and bodywork

Pirelli slicks SC02 have 4 races

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19usLfG8pE8GjwWE10gZ63odh3mG6tiZx/view?usp=drivesdk

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. FZRCraig

FZRCraig Offensive to Most

So nice.

3. riversbikes

riversbikes Well-Known Member

Very cool -- looks like a WSB Superbike 750 from the 90s!

ricracer16 likes this.
  4. Estebann

Estebann Member

Still Available? Soo tempting!

5. ricracer16

Hello,

Unfortunately, this has been sold. If you are still interested in an FZR 400. I know of someone selling another one.

I’m currently building another FZR 400. I’m hoping to top the last one.

[​IMG]

Shenanigans likes this.
  6. Estebann

Estebann Member

no worries probably for the best that you sold it, keeps me focused on my 1WG project... and well done on the new project- Starting with a great frame!

ricracer16 likes this.
  7. ricracer16

Hey Estebann,

My apologies for not updating. This sold back in November. The new owner will be racing it the AHRMA series this year. I'm currently building a new FZR 400 at the moment. I do know of a few other FZR's if you are interested in purchasing one.
    Yes, this one is an SP as well. Is your 1WG going to be a street bike or racing? I still have a ton of 1WG parts left from my original build and have all the street RR 3TJ SP parts available as well.

8. Estebann

Estebann Member

Awesome!
    Track Only amd maybe AHRMA Super Bike Lightweight legal - depends if I go yzf600 top end hybrid or keep it pure +1mm or 2mm overbore.

9. ricracer16

Come race it at AHRMA. I’m racing mine nextgen superbike lightweight.

Do you have 1 and 2 mm engine parts? I have been looking but haven’t found anything.

10. Estebann

Estebann Member

Maybe! Trying to get it done asap. We’ll see if Its ready for at least a april shakedown.

Not the full set yet, been piecing it together slowly and as you might be experiencing too, it been tough.

11. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

What are the details on the other one for sale? Does Ahrma race NJMP? Any place class my 94 gsxr track bike?

12. ricracer16

The other bike is a 400RR 3TJ SP, it’s not for sale. Building it for this season racing, mostly with AHRMA but I might do other organizations if it can fit in my schedule.

Here it is broken down to get powder coated.

[​IMG]

As far as your question about your 94 gsxr I’d need more information like displacement, but AHRMA has a good rule book with all the information to figure out which class you bike might fit in.

And AHRMA does race at NJMP. That’s my home track though I struggle racing there. I’ll be racing that track this year as well. My first race with the new bike will be at Roebling in February.

I’ll post some photos of the finished bike. I’m hoping it will be done in the next few weeks.

13. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I sucked terribly at NJMP my first 2 seasons there. I tried it on my 400/600,ex500,ex250......nothing helped. Came back the 3rd year on my stock fzr400 and gridded up in a couple MW/600 races on the 400. I went instantly 8-10 seconds a lap faster than I ever did on anything else,even the 400 with the 600 engine, by gridding up with 600s and just latching onto anybody I could.Ended up finishing ahead of a few 600 guys even near the back of the pack. That to me was a win right there. Have fun on the 3TJ!!

ricracer16 likes this.
  14. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Ill read the rule book sorry i asked about that.
    I thought you had mentioned you had info on another 400 for sale so if i mis read apologies on that. Tgx again

15. ricracer16

Ah, no worries. I’m not sure if I was clear that I wasn’t selling it. At this point I’m building it for myself with no plans of selling it, but I remember saying the same thing about the last one too.

16. ricracer16

I’ve raced an SV650 there, a Daytona 675 there which I was quickest on but still very slow I think, especially for how setup that bike was. That bike had Elena Myers suspension and other goodies on it. I wish I just had a bit more skill and less fear to ride it better.

On my 88’ 1WG I had so much more fun though I was slower, but I could see and feel where I could make improvements.

This year I’m curious to see where the improvements will be with the new bike.

17. britx303

M.Evry wasnt really much faster on his 3TJ compared to his clapped out 1WG. He said the 3TJ handled better,but preferred the engine of the 1WG..........he says it feels stronger. Are you just racing AHRMA?

18. ricracer16

My schedule consists of AHRMA dates and sprinkled in some CCS rounds but I have to see how my first few races go with time and money.

I was thinking of doing the njmp and road america rounds.

I’ve seen Mark Evry’s bikes but have yet to meet or race against him.

19. britx303

Marks a good dude. He will be more than happy to talk fzr stuff at the track

20. ricracer16

I heard he might run AHRMA this year. I'm hoping he does and brings his nice toys with him.