1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1976 Yamaha XS650

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by james walker, Jul 6, 2017.

1. vance

vance *

Ha! I need a storage unit.

2. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

The most common rephase was for dirt track, using 55 degrees of crank offset. The vibration seemed worse (maybe because people didn’t bother to balance them?) IF you set them up as a twingle they were miserable to start, and even more difficult to jet. Most people cut and sleeved the cams, this allowed re-indexing just by loosening the grub screws. I had my best success with the 360 crank setup. YMMV.
    Exhaust pipes inside the frame rails provide much desired ground clearance for a road racer. Things never end well when you put hard parts down while flat in top gear. Cycle News reporter Chris Jonnum said ‘That was the ‘biggest dust ball he had ever seen’... The 1993 version featured much longer Works Performance equipment on my XS650.

V5 Racer likes this.
  3. vance

vance *

Walker, I think I'm good on getting this thing shipped to KY. I know you're looking to clear out the garage asap. When you have a minute give me a call. Will pm my # now.

4. VintageRacerRoy

VintageRacerRoy Well-Known Member

Thanks Charlie. My XS is NOT rephased. There have been one or two rephased versions show up to race and were not competitive. I do not recomend rephase for road racing. Main changes needed to make HP are competent head work, cam selection, and piston selction. Mine also has extra long rods. All of the work except head porting was done myself.

5. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Extra long rods? Those are different from long rods?

:Poke:

Cheers,

Dave

james walker likes this.
  6. vance

vance *

That's good to know, thanks. The "plan" with this bike is to attach a sidecar and get the wife out on the track. If she enjoys it enough to continue, the spare XS motor was going to be rephased and stuffed into a purpose built kneeler sidecar. Charlie, there's the unique and ambitious part of the project :D

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well yeah, they're fancier :D

8. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Or maybe he meant "extra" long rods, as in he keeps a couple of spares under the seat?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Could be - spares are kind of fancy too :D

10. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I think he is attempting to compensate for something . . . .

My BSA's have long rods, but I have never tried to claim EXTRA long rods.:D

Cheers,

Dave

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Ok, I need to make an admission here, in the interest of full disclosure and so there is no confusion or misrepresentation. I have ben known, on the rare occasion, while chatting up brolly dollies in bars, to mention my long rod. Sometimes interest was generated, but inevitably, the leaky oil was too off-putting. Having said that, I NEVER attempted to pass off an EXTRA LONG rod. Candidly, the consequences of such, even for a Vintage roadracer, might be far too overwhelming. I'm surprised Roy attempted such a feat . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

yamageezer and rdtbull like this.
  12. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

David and Dean (yamageezer).....He's Roy-Frikkin-Chapman.....nuff said:beer:

Hey Vance.....I'm glad it worked out, and your wife is onboard (Pun intended)....that's great man! I hope I get to meet the young lady who can handle her martinis (I'm vodka, slightly dirty extra olives), and is willing to monkey.....(GAWD that whole sentence sounds so wacked :))....you sir, are a lucky man:clap:

Not to stir anything and make Walker sound any better than he ACTUALLY is, but......the dude has done some pretty decent paintjobs. Not rattlecan stuff, and not showbike stuff (closer to showbike than rattlecan!), but some really nice racebike paintjobs, several....check out the black on his Honda350.

And then theres Scudder (robin 172).......Hey Scudder was that your 127 duc on the crash truck at barber dude???

I would also NOT put it by Chapman to have "Fancy Spares":rock:

Congrats on the new to you bike Vance.

13. vance

vance *

Thanks CharlieY, and yes indeed I'm a lucky man for her to tolerate my childish behavior :D
    If all goes as planned, I'll have a pic of her in Porkchop's Monster Energy suit on the sidecar :D
    she won them years ago at the GNF at Road Atlanta during a silent auction. :rock:

14. VintageRacerRoy

VintageRacerRoy Well-Known Member

All,
    From a Yamaha XS technical stand point, there are short rods and long rods. The term extra long rods is reserved for those who have exhibited the initiative for something longer than the long mentioned in the first sentence. Everybody follow? As for other rod claims, I will plead the 5th, as certain party or parties have engaged in speculation of said rods. I might even argue that "tools" are on the loose in this discussion concerned about their own current dimensional limits........... :moon:

yamageezer and james walker like this.
  15. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Yes Charlie it was. Bloody carb fell off on the second lap of the 350 race. Poor prep I suppose, no one to blame but myself...although Hate McDead was in the paddock.

16. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Scudder...he probably bumped you tho?....maybe kicked you in passing? Are you sure it wasn't his fault?:Poke:

I've never met the guy (hate) personally, but it sure is fun questioning the relationship you 2 have....it seems one of you 2 is always the bad guy????

Later

17. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

There's only one bad guy and he's not the resident alien.

yamageezer likes this.
  18. Ramsey

Ramsey Member

Hello James, I am interested in your XS-650 Roadracer if it is still available I can be reached at 912-272-3617 or email [email protected]

Thank You

19. vance

vance *

Ramsey, the bike has a new home in Naples FL.
    James, nice meeting you, you've got some very cool stuff in the garage and in the driveway. :beer:
    I made it home, 1305 miles in 21 hours. What a day.:eek:

20. Ramsey

Ramsey Member

rdtbull likes this.