1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1976 Yamaha XS650

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by james walker, Jul 6, 2017.

1. vance

vance *

Subscribed. Let me sell some crap and make room, hopefully it's still around.
    New to true vintage bikes, very familiar with 20 year old pieces of crap. :D
    What's involved in attaching a sidecar? I'm 2 martinis away from convincing the wife to travel for some AHRMA rounds. Would it be possible to race this thing with a side car a few rounds per year along with my local org vintage rounds without a sidecar? Basically is there a bunch of welding and frame stuff involved in a sidecar?

2. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

I really need the garage space. I'm thinking I may eBay her. :(

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey JW, anybody with an AHRMA membership (not me) can post it on AHRMA's "Swap Meet Adds" for free.

Knowing your workmanship, this thing should be gone.

Don't take a heavy beating on it just to make space. If you want to stash it in my basement, you are more than welcome to sir.....I'll be in town this weekend if you want to work that out.

james walker likes this.
  4. james walker

'can I keep 3 or four other bikes and a Chevette in there too? :D
    Hell, I'll trade you 8 bikes AND a low mileage, running '81 Chevette for that Camaro ;)

5. james walker

That'll only leave me with my Dad's Trophy 250 to restore but I think I'd be ok with that. lol

6. CharlieY

Well....lets not get carried away now:rolleyes::)

But seriously, I know your tight on space, and if it'll help you out you can stick one down there for awhile....stick the XS down there, catch your breathe, and list it again in the future.

DONT take a beating on it just because of space.....aint letting that happen homie.:beer:

james walker likes this.
  7. CharlieY

Wait.....did you say "Running" Chevette??????.....as in the V8 is running?

8. james walker

No, you're thinking of the '84 . It doesn't run.
    The '81 I bought is the low mileage (stock) runner. lol
    Maybe when I get a decent motor in one of them we can take it and the Camaro to the strip. :D

9. CharlieY

That would be cool.....I guess I'd have to drag it out of the basement and work on it.....or something.

You are the only person I've ever heard of that owns 2 chevettes....at the same time....?????.....on purpose????:Poke::rolleyes:

Dude.....you've always been "Artsy" or "Quirky", but whaaatttt???

Stumpy likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The only reason to ever have a Chevette is if you're racing a dirt track series where it's required.

11. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Alone the lines of what Charlie said, if it's a space issue we can stick in the basement with my fleet. Winder is a lot closer, too.

james walker likes this.
  12. CharlieY

V5racer = Kurt????

"Vance" is probably going "Will you guys STFU! I was working towards stealing that thang fair and square!!!!":)

vance and V5 Racer like this.
  13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Shhh LOL.

Good seeing you at the vintage festival. The circumstances were hilarious.

14. vance

vance *

Look at it this way: if I buy it, it will be going to a guy who will spend absurd money towards it and then dump it for 1/2 what I paid. :beer: I've got quite the track record.
    Plus my buddy just texted Mike Wells' number to me regarding finding a vintage sidecar. It's a perfect conversation starter!

15. CharlieY

Ha!....Mike Wells could do it!....He's got a lot of XS650 race and wrench history too.

Walker does some nice work Vance. I haven't seen that bike in person, but I've seen the others, and raced against them......nice stuff.

Yo Kurt!....oh sorry....yo kurt!

That was pretty comical helping me load my "new to me" VFR....Thanx Holmes....you shoulda seen it before I got it down there to the lot....it was literally swamped in the grass at Norton Hill.

It was also nice seeing you at John Cooks wedding Kurt...... You clean up ok for a vintage guy.:Poke: Good jams too sir!

Hey Vance, I'm in this thread to watch out for my "little brother" Walker....If you scratch thru me, you get to deal with Bowie.:)

16. CharlieY

Dayum....I throw out the little brother comment, THEN throw Bowie under the bus, and......Nothing? Nada?

You guys are getting soft....or old.....or both.:beer:

17. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Too funny. Rain is coming down and someone else in the lot starts yelling for help, looks like they are loading a streetbike into the back of a van on a soaking wet 2x6 and a piece of a ramp (vintage style LOL). I turn to say something to the guy and guess who it is?

They shut down Ace Corner early and I was glad of it, we started load out at 5:30 on Saturday and as we were taking the canopies down at 7:30 or so the rain started to fall. Driving back to Atlanta in a hurricane was fun, I think we saw four wrecks before we got to Georgia.

18. vance

vance *

Was gonna say, if the Grizzly Adams pic is Walker, and he's the little brother, I've got zero chance of getting through you and a dude named Bowie. :D Well, unless he's more of a David Bowie than a Jim Bowie :Poke:

19. james walker

I think by 'little' he just meant 'younger, better looking'. :D

Grizzly Adams. lol

20. CharlieY

HA!....Walker has a new nickname....GRIZ.:bow: .......but yea, I meant younger...the better looking part, lets just ask an independent counsel: his wife :D

On the Bowie thing, YES, he looks EXACTLY like David Bowie, even in his leathers....people mistake him all the time....right up until Doug starts singing:Puke: That's the only way some folks can tell the difference between David Bowie and Doug Bowie. :Poke: Dont get me wrong, Doug can sing a frikkin song when he needs to.

There are no similarities between Doug and Jim Bowie.....ask Scudder, wheres Scudder? he's a friend of Mike Wells, and always good for a jab at good ol Dougie.:)

Give the bike a shot Vance. I don't know what you currently ride, but a decently built and setup bike like Walkers XS can be a lot of fun. The guy builds his bikes right.

Oh, and the vintage pits are like this all the time....they are like the 30 stooges......not me of course....I just watch currently.:(