1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1971 Ulster GP

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Racer156, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Racer156

Racer156 Member

Hello,

I was trying to do some research for a Suzuki gt500 based replica of Jack Findlay’s 1971 Ulster GP winner. I’ve found very little info on the web considering the significance of the bike. Also, there’s conflicting information. It’s either a Seeley framed bike or a special constructed in partnership with Danielle Fontana. The other option is that it’s a stock TR500. Based on what I’ve read I think the 1971 bike was a Seeley Mk2 framed bike and the 1972 was the special (JADA). Also, I’ve only found two good pics from that season:
    https://pin.it/7D4k9CD
    https://pin.it/7kGeN8Q

My question is does anyone have any better pics of this bike or anyway to confirm what chassis the T500 engine was housed in? Let me know

Thanks

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I don't think it is either a Seeley or the JADA. Seeleys had round tubed swinging arms and also totally different wheel adjusters. The JADA had a large box section swinging arm, also the front brake in the links you posted doesn't look much like the one fitted to the bike he rode in 1972. It's probably a TR500 frame.

Start of the 1972 Senior TT on the JADA
    jada7.jpg

1971 Seeley Suzuki as raced by Barry Sheene that year.
    EuD3JjxXUAUaddg.png

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  3. Racer156

Racer156 Member

Hmmm…. Those are good points. I’ve looked at the stock TR500 frame and it’s upper rear shock area looks different than the pic also:
    https://pin.it/4XETkdJ

In addition on ozbook it said (paraphrasing) his 1971 Ulster victory was the closest ever to a production engine winning a GP since he wasn’t running a TR500 Suzuki wouldn’t give him and racekit parts.

So ‘72 was definitely the JADA. Maybe for ‘71 there was a proto-JADA? I noted that the JADA and the ‘71 bike both have a square section swingarm.

4. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I wonder if the bike may have been in the Continental Circus movie.

5. Racer156

Racer156 Member

Oh good call! I haven’t seen that in ages. I think it’s the 1972 season but maybe there is some 71 footage mixed in. I’ll rewatch it tonite

6. Robin172

I think the main year of that movie was 1969 with a little bit of 1970 as well as it covered the deaths of Bill Ivy and Santiago Herrera. Probably the most depressing film I've ever seen.

7. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

8. Robin172

9. Racer156

Racer156 Member

Ah maaan. I guess a replica build is out of the question then. Maybe I’ll just slap on the Ceriani forks and 250mm Fontana drum on the stocker. That’ll still make one sweet bike. :)

10. Racer156

Racer156 Member

At least I got to rewatch continental circus out of the deal ….

L8RSK8R likes this.