1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

17 R6 "Race" air filter - tune ?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by bluebandit2g, Dec 4, 2020.

1. bluebandit2g

bluebandit2g Well-Known Member

Setting up a track\race bike, bought a K&N filter just for ease of cleaning basically. Apparently I bought the Race version as it doesn't have the baffle/restrictor on the front like the OE filter. Right now the bike has stock exhaust. Ill get a full exhaust at some point. Is this filter going to cause any issues if I install it without a ecu reflash ? check engine light, Or a drop in hp ?

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Modern bike or antique? OOPs, has an ECU, you'll be OK with your O2 sensor still intact.

3. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I would probably wait, especially if you’re gonna be riding the bike often. I like the idea of doing a base run with no mods and then seeing how they change the bike after install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

why? the OEM yamaha is pretty damned good. Cleaning a K&N filter never works out well.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

know what's easier than cleaning an aftermarket filer? just REPLACING the OEM oiled paper filter once a year. And, it will do a WAY better job of filtering .. pry the cone off the front, instant HP gain.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Hang onto that K&N. You'll need it when the Yellowstone Supervolcano blows.

7. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Don't forget that it's not super stock legal in wera (or the daytona 200 haha) so you have to run superbike. Depending on other mods might not matter but limiting yourself by a filter seems silly.

8. bluebandit2g

bluebandit2g Well-Known Member

Sounds like the oe filter is going to be the winner. Not chasing HP anyway.

MELK-MAN likes this.