1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'17+ GSXR1000 (non-R) street suspension baseline

Discussion in 'Tech' started by younglion, Feb 24, 2019.

1. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Almost all of my research into finding a baseline for my new streetbike turns up either only track settings or settings for the R model with totally different boingers.

With no local suspension guru's in my area, I was hoping someone on the Beeb either had a solid reference or could post up links to sites that do.

For reference:

- I'm 185lbs without gear
    - street use only and my local roads aren't billiard table smooth
    - I prefer to err on the softer side but still really want flickability and quick turn in - I just recall my older 750's were so flat I had to shim the hell outta them and raise the rear to get it to finish a corner or even initiate turn in - that was racing however.

2. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

drop forks till 2mm below the triple clamps.
    rear sag at 27mm front sag at 34mm.
    rear rebound, all happens in the last turn of adjustment before all the way in.

3. younglion

Interesting...

Dropping the forks goes against all old school GSXR set up but I'm happy to give it a shot.

Rear (shock) rebound - are you saying not a lot of actual adjustment until it's damn near maxed out?

4. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

Yes Correct. The Shock doesn't get propper control of the Rebound until the last turn.

GSXR's have always ran to low in the Chassis.. well since the K6 machines. There's a reason why the RR machine runs 25mm longer Forks then the normal model ;)

younglion likes this.
  5. younglion

Thanks Crazymofo - if anyone else has suggestions for all of the front and rear settings to go along with sag numbers that seem to work, I'd be grateful to incorporate those for a baseline starting point this Spring - thanks!

6. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Define old? I know the 06-09 hot set up was getting fork extenders and dropping the forks into the triples as well.

Odilup likes this.
  7. younglion

Correct! I should have elaborated - back when I had my '08 750 my suspension guy and I set it up based on my budget at the time and after upgrading the components and shimming the rear up 10-12mm he said that was as far as we could go with that set up, any further improvements would require extenders, as you say...

That timing coincided with my friend getting taken out on a track day on that 750 so it was sold off for parts and I never got to ride it with extenders.