1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

165 tire on 5.5" rim?

Discussion in 'General' started by xxaarraa, Mar 9, 2020.

1. xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

I have two questions I would like some wisdom on -

Assume 150 lb rider on a well sorted bike....
    • Has anyone run a 165 or 170 tire on a 5.5" rim originally shod in a 180 tire? Specifically, say a 165x60 instead of a 180x55.....
    • Will going to a smaller tire make the motorcycle a bit more agile when changing direction? (at the expense of contact patch and traction obviously)
    Thanks in advance,

2. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

In. I would love to hear the answers too. Never heard of a 165 on 600.

3. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I have ran the 165 Bridgestone slick on a 5.5. Worked great for my application.

rcarson15, track wagon and RRP like this.
  4. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

I believe MOST TZ250 5KE dudes were running 165's on a 5.5" during the later years of that bike still being around when it had the Marchesinis on it. I plan to also run this configuration on my RS250.

5. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I would check to see what rim size the manufacturer recommends for the specific tire. Sometimes you have to dig around on their web site to find it. And yes I have not always followed those guidelines. I have also removed mattress tags.

Newyork and TurboBlew like this.
  6. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

do you have a Supermoto with a 5.5" i cant think of any reason to run the narrower tire unless a 180 won't fit between the swingarm.

7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I've seen it but the 180/55 won't be much bigger depending on the brand. I know the Pirelli 180 only needed a 1/2 turn of ride height to adjust it from the 160 I was using on my 400. Don't remember the exact width and diameter change but it wasn't much.

8. bugeye

bugeye Well-Known Member

The Bridgestone 165 is what a lot of guys are running on the TZ 250's and some of those are on a 5.5" rim.
    I'd like to hear if anybody has put a 160 Pirelli on a 5.5" rim? Pretty sure 1994 and up TZ's have 5.5" rim.

9. xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for the feedback. The question was primarily meant for a modern day TZ250 - a Kramer 690. The bike comes standard with a 160 tire on a 5" cast wheel in rear. However, due to weird KTM parts bin and volume issues, any forged or carbon wheel options force you to move up to a 5.5" wheel and 180 tire. I have absolutely zero traction need as the current 160 is more than fine, so I was wondering if I can continue to run a smaller tire on the new 5.5" carbon wheel. Seems like I can, from your experiences.

I see Dunlop offers a 165 rear. I believe Bridgestone offers the Battlax racing W01 in a 165/'630' - does the battlax W01 equate to a slick or DOT? I can't find a local dealer for the bridgestones and know Dunlop will ship them straight to my house.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  10. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

The Bridgestone 165 was designed for 250 GP bikes with 5.5" wheel. Recommended wheel is 4.5 - 5.5". We have information on them listed on our website. Let us know if we can help with anything.

www.stickboyracing.com

JBall, Dragginass, TurboBlew and 4 others like this.
  11. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

The profile will be slightly flattened with a 160 on a 5.5" rim. A little less triangular. If you are getting all the way to the edge of the rear tire with the 160/5" setup, you will definitely do so with the same size tire on a rim that is 1/2" wider. Keep in mind that the difference will be 1/4" at each side- that is to say not much. Just an opinion...I agree with using the smaller section on a bike like this one.

VFR#52 likes this.
  12. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

165 rain on a 5.5 works great because you get more contact patch. Awesome for wet conditions. Never ran that size in the dry only wet

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I wouldn't put 160/60 on a 5.5 rim as the profile gets all funky. And there's a rumor that there will be a 180/55 SC1 slick coming to the US for Kramer fitments some time this year. But you can find a SC2 180/55 slick from any Pirelli vendor right now.

14. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

When I changed to a 180 on a 5.5 rim my bike there were more options for compounds. Also I could never run a soft rear without tearing on the 160, no matter how many changes I made to the rear suspension. Put the 180/55 on and it was never a problem again, ran softs without any changes. If I remember correctly the 180 was lighter too, not much but a bit. I'd suggest giving the pirelli a try.

15. G2G

G2G I feel the need

All the Aprilia SXV racers run a 165 motad slick on there bikes. Its a 5.5 rear rim. Using a 180 makes the bike feel like a truck in side to side transitions.

16. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I have seen and used the Dunlop and Bstone 165 rears on a 5.5 inch rim. Worked just fine.

17. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Why not 180/60?

track wagon likes this.
  18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Yes of course on a 5.5 rim

19. Jb.junior

Jb.junior Well-Known Member

Hi. I actually am thinking of getting a Kramer as well and have similar questions. I actually just responded to a lot of comments in the "How about a Kramer" thread.

As far as this question goes, it is my understanding that you really don't want to put a 160 on a 5.5" wheel -- though it can be done. As you, and others in the thread here, note, there are some 170 and 165 options, but it is my understanding that they are kind of obscure, and if you're going to race and do track days, none of the manufacturers will carry anything that fits at the track. As you note, you can order them to your house, but that just adds a lot of logistical hassle that I would personally rather avoid.

Where are you located? I'm in Houston and race CMRA. Would be cool to connect with someone also thinking of getting a kramer. If you want to email me it's [email protected]

VFR#52 likes this.
  20. Jb.junior

Jb.junior Well-Known Member

It's just too much tire for something in the lightweight twins class.

VFR#52 likes this.