1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

15 zx10r will I be disappointed?

Discussion in 'General' started by Skillz Moto, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Skillz Moto

Skillz Moto Active Member

Does anyone still race these? I want a 16+ but found a set up 15 for much less and I still have a little ways to go before I'm racing. Of course coming from a 1st gen zx10r its going to be an improvement. My thoughts are to get the 15, save some $ while improving my skill, then go for a 16+ next year. I dont want to be disappointed though. Any thoughts/advice are appreciated.

2. Skillz Moto

3. Skillz Moto

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It won the WSBK title in 2013, it can't be too bad :D

[​IMG]

track wagon and Skillz Moto like this.
  5. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

Looks like a well sorted bike to me. Also probably way more bike then most of us will need. I wouldnt sweat the year. It will probably take quite awhile to reach the limits of that bike to the extent that the 16 be needed

Skillz Moto likes this.
  6. Skillz Moto

+1 for 15 thanks!

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what items do you think are on the 2016 makes a better bike than the 2015?

what skill set(s) are you lacking that the bike would make any measurable difference?

Cajun Kid and Skillz Moto like this.
  8. Skillz Moto

Also a race
    Just want something to grow into and looking for advice from more experienced folks. I just know the 16+ are updated and potentially easier to ride bc of less internal inertia. But i realize we are talking minuscule differences.

Razr likes this.
  9. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

You will be fine. I went from a 05 to a 11 and it was a huge improvement.
    You can still see a few 4th gens out on the grid doing just fine.

Skillz Moto likes this.
  10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Nice bike...might be a while before you're fully able to wring it's neck.
    Good luck to you. Enjoy!

Skillz Moto likes this.
  11. alan

alan Well-Known Member

Better traction control and wheelie control, auto blip is available with a flash. More power and better geometry.

BigBird and Skillz Moto like this.
  12. 2OLD2BFAST

2OLD2BFAST Well-Known Member

I race a 2016 and have won Amateur sprints on it, but still get beat by previous Gen bikes. I am 2OLD2BFAST but I am getting around okay and still can't ride any of the Gen 4 or Gen 5 bikes to their limit. Save some money IMO and work on your riding first.

Skillz Moto and SpeedyE like this.
  13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You will be disapointed because it's not a gixxer. :D

K51000, Steeltoe and Skillz Moto like this.
  14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The wheels aren’t even white

Skillz Moto likes this.
  15. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

An 05 is like riding the angriest bull at a rodeo. Jumping on a grenade going off is more friendlier than an 05.

16. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

I've researched this quite a but and my two cents are:

Gen 5s (16+) have a much better transmission. Secondly the rear shock on the Gen4 is garbage if you're over 150 pounds, which is a moot point if you're going to change the whole assembly of course since you're racing, but worth a mention for anyone who was thinking of using it. The electronics are better and more refined than the Gen 4. If you can afford it, Go Gen 5 without a doubt, it is a better bike in every way. You also don't get that click issue from the front forks on hard braking as you do with the Gen 5, it's damn distracting and not the best thing when you want to focus on front end feel. Also better brakes on the Gen 5 not to mention the lighter crank.

From an experienced user of both gens:

The gen 5 is better out the gate then a gen 4; no ifs and or buts. The Gen 4 takes quite a bit in the suspension, braking and power department to put it on par with the gen 5 out the crate. The gen 4 weighs slightly less, but after you pull the ABS, race battery, pull emissions crap, KLEEN system, etc they are essentially the same. Even in the power department, unless you've done headwork on the gen 4, you'll still be down about 10HP compared to the gen 5. Unless you've done custom con-rods, pistons and knife edged the crank on the gen 4 it will rev slower than the gen 5.

Electronics on the gen 5 blow the 4th gen away. The electronics on the 4th gen were good for their time what they were up against. But now that nearly everyone has gone to a dedicated IMU, there is no comparison for actual bike situational awareness being calculated live and in real time as opposed to reactionary, simple software algorithms based on mechanical feedback from the motor, trans, wheels and rider input. The tuning options we have with ETVs compared to cable based throttle is huge especially with logging systems where we can log the actual ETV position in relation to the throttle give the gen 5 a nod over the gen 4. Quickshifter is a moot point for most. But the ability to have the auto blip downshift on the 5th gen is a relatively huge advantage as that 5-10% of mental capability you afford to making your approach to a corner to blipping throttle and rev matching you can essentially reallocate elsewhere, perhaps to your braking points. It's one less thing to worry about. More TC modes is an advantage as well. Launch control, like the QS again is moot as most people will put the woolich racing launch control in on the gen 4 if they need it.

I love both my 11 and 16 model but in terms of all around performance (brakes, suspension, motor) the 16 wins.

BigBird and Skillz Moto like this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have no doubt Kawi made the bike "better"... typical MO for them. However did you go faster on the newer bike? :D

Skillz Moto likes this.
  18. Skillz Moto

Hey, thank you all for the input and taking the time to help in my decision! It's greatly appreciated!

19. Skillz Moto

At this time I am going with the 15 pictured above until my skill catches up with the machine and tech. Thanks again.

TurboBlew and pscook like this.
  20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Too late. I just bought it. Nice bike!

TurboBlew likes this.