1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

14f/12r tires for stock TTR110?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Brad, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

So, my 10yo is getting excited to ride his bike again and says he wants to "roadrace and moto" his TTR110. Not sure if he'll get into it, so not buying a proper set of 12" wheels right yet. I've searched a bit and found Michelin City Grip scooter tires in 90-14 & 110/90-12. I know a "matched set" of tires wouldn't be critical for this thing, but has anyone tried the combo and can verify them "not junk" for this application?

Any other brands to look for on the cheap(er)? Ive seen the 12" race tires from Sava but they would be -waaaay- overkill for what Jr has going right now?

Also, any 12" front wheels a direct swap for the TTR, ala XR80 to 100?

Thanks!!!

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I used a set of the cheapest Cheng Shin scooter tires I could find (probably not even up to that quality) on a YZ80, and they were fine for hooning around the kart track. And I weight about 185 without gear at that time. I could get the rear to step out pretty easily, but I was being very liberal with the throttle and really working the tire. Front was fine. I would say that with a 10 year old kid, probably at 60 lbs fully geared (maybe 80 lbs with leathers?) on a low hp bike you should be fine.

Now, when you take it out for a test ride, well, be aware...

Brad likes this.
  3. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Years ago I put the cheapest 100-16 Parts Unl had in the catalog on an Xr100. Sakura Street Shark, they were. I was amazed how they gripped in the little bit of driveway/pavement duty they saw. Probably not that great if pushed on a proper mini course I'd bet.....And they broke the hell outta my leg after getting grooved and playing on a dirt track with them!

I was just out looking at this thing again and I'm not so sure a 110/90 will fit in the arm. Longer chain and spacing the brake stay arm may do it though?. I'll have to do a little more eyeballing and actually measure something.

I'll go through the catalogs tomorrow and see if something skinnier is out there. Amazon had some 90-12 but seemed -really- no name cheapy.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I believe I had a 90/90-14 on my YZ80, it was super duper skinny as well as the cheapest thing I could find in a 14". But it worked for what I was doing, which wasn't much. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of the old bugger with the street tires on it.

5. kevinnolde

kevinnolde kandjracingsolutions.com

Nothing beats fat rims and sticky tires.