1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

125 getting started

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Prost1, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Prost1

Prost1 New Member

Im a novice interested in starting in 125s looking for some expert advice. How finiky are they, how quick do they use consumeables(tires, brakes, engine parts)??, and at 175lbs am I too heavy to ride one? I would appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer my elementary questions.

2. Weezer # 1

Weezer # 1 250 GP'er

First of all....you can ride one. Just remember that a 14 year-old at about 90 pounds will pull you out if turns like you just ran out of gas.
    Two....the pre-95 RS125s are not too finicky at all. A great bike for the beginner GPer. I would go with a 93 or 94.
    Three....they aren't too bad on anything really. It just needs some preventive maintenance and a good eye to ck everything over. Top-ends will be like every other weekend or so...depends on how much time or mileage you put on the bike. It is all explained in the manual.
    There are some sites you can go to as well.

Eric
    FW,TX

3. TZpunk

TZpunk Active Member

Boy will they ever. This weekend's race at Road Atlanta has inspired me to lose the 15 lbs of "I sit in front of a computer all day" fat.

[This message has been edited by TZpunk (edited 07-09-2001).]

4. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Just like to add, I'm a portly 190 lbs. Yes, I need to get back on my diet, but I don't think I can get much below 180 without lyposuction. Just ride harder and you'll finish higher.

Jack

[This message has been edited by Jack (edited 07-09-2001).]

5. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

6. gpwannabe

gpwannabe Well-Known Member

I'd say go 95 and up. I don't find my 95 rs overly finicky. You will use a top end ever other weekend and a crank once a year but the 95rss and up are better and parts availibility is better.

My fat ass is 189 sans gear and I ride just fine.

[email protected]

7. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

oh! oh! I have a question! [​IMG]

On 125s (or any GP bike I suppose) by "top end" what do you mean?
    piston & rings? cylinder? both?
    Do you have to replace them or can you hone and reuse them?

8. Linz Leard

Linz Leard Active Member

Replacing the ring and piston generally consitutes a top end job. Of course this also means other parts as well. It'll mean a new base gasket. It might mean a new head gasket (or gaskets as the case may be) because they are silicone o-rings. It could mean a new wrist pin (but they generally last a couple pistons worth) and it will always mean new circlips (the little spring "Cs" that retain the piston pin). It'll also mean a new upper rod bearing once in a while, too. Cylinder bores are Nikasil plated and are pretty damn hard. You shouldn't have to replace one of these unless you really demolish it with a very bad seizure or detonation. You can't really hone them, they have to be replated when they are seriously toasted.

L

9. cincykid

cincykid Well-Known Member

If you are seriously interested in getting into 125's, let me know. I am selling all of my stuff because I have a baby on the way and my wife is going nuts over me racing. Just e-mail me of you think you might be interested. [email protected] EVERYTHING is going with the bike. FYI, I used to race a GSXR 600 and rode a 125 once and couldnt believe how much more fun it was. Then of course I sold my 600 and got my 125. Fully leathered I weigh about 185 and I've been placing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the races I've run this year. They are tough little machines!! I say do it!

10. GP Star

GP Star Active Member

Get a '95 or later Honda 125. If you get an earlier model you will want to sell it half way through the year and get a newer one because you will love riding a 125. Trying to make a pre-95 go faster is like beating a dead horse. Plus they are not finicky to tune, keep them fresh and the bike will run great.

--Chris

11. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

You can find a nice basic 95 RS for $1000 to $1500 more than a pre 95 model. 95 is WAY more comfortable and has a better resale if you dont like it. But you will!!!!

Bill Cole
    WERA#72