1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10/21-24 Barber Motorsports Park, Birmingham, AL

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by KneeDragger_c69, Sep 16, 2021.

1. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

So I was planning on attending that wknd right after the Daytona event.

It would be my first time at that track and FINALLY with WERA also.

Been wanting to do that track for a while and participate in one of your events.

Questions:
    The wknd event is called: "2021 Pirelli/WERA National Challenge Series"
    1. Is it a only Pirelli setting event or any tire brand will do for the wknd ?

2. Is there a trackday the prior day and which day would it be ?

3. Can I get my license with WERA and register on the spot ?

Any additional info will be welcomed :)

Cheers
    Alex

2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Two of those are easy to answer.

1) You can always use any brand tire. Pirelli is a sponsor.

3) I've been racing with WERA for 5 years or so and every registration and license renewal I've ever done has been at the registration desk in the morning.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

1 - any tire is fine, Pirelli is a title sponsor (Michelin also sponsors one of the National classes and Dunlop sponsors the Endurance series).

2- Thursday will be an all day practice for racers.

3 - you can definitely handle everything there. Having not run with us before you'll be limited to the National Challenge and Vintage classes but still plenty of racing.

4. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Will this years schedule be mostly like last years?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not remotely. No Endurance and no AMA RRGC races. Been playing with some idea and hope to have a final schedule soon.

6. KneeDragger_c69

Thnx Sean...

When you mention "limited to the NAtional Challenge" Is that a class or...?
    Vintage I gather it's older bikes or racers ? :p lol

FYI, I run a ZX6R (636) '13

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

National Challenge is a series. The GNF is the final round for it, straight points for the National Championship. Sportsman is another series, GNF is winner take all for it for the National Championships. Vintage is a little of both, has regional championships that are points based in each region as well as the GNF is a double points round for the National Championship.

You can run 600 Superstock and Superbike, 750 Superstock and Superbike, Open Superstock, and Michelin/WERA Superbike if you're an expert.

Also along with the Thursday all day practice we're look at doing qualifying for all of the National Challenge classes on Friday.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  8. KneeDragger_c69

Super thnx Sean.

Pretty straight forward.
    Yes I'd be running Expert

Hoping for the borders to open and participate with you guys.

Cheers
    Alex

9. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I was told that if we didn't do any WERA races in this season, we wouldn't be eligible to race at the GNF. Glad someone started this thread and you clarified it! May have to look into it when the schedule is released.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is only true for the Sportsman classes since they are winner take all for National Championships but the others are points paying races so you're fine entering them.

11. Yamaboy

Yamaboy Active Member

Ok. Read the rule book, forum, etc. and still not quite clear on the classes I am eligible for so gonna take a stab here. Probably making it harder than it needs to be.

1. Got provisional license.
    2. Entered B Superbike Novice and V8 MW both Sat/Sun at Tally in Aug.
    3. I'm eligible for those 2 classes at the Barber Weekend in some way?

My confusion comes from the series names. Looking at last year's schedule as an example;

1. Friday = "Sportsman & Vintage Racing"
    2. Saturday = "WERA and AMA RRGC Finals"
    3. Sunday = "Pirelli WERA National Challenge Sprints and AMA RRGC Finals"

Basically, I'm curious what days I would be eligible to race assuming entries would be in the 2 classes I entered in Aug. Sounds like Sportsman on Friday, Not sure Saturday, and National Challenge Sunday.

The pending schedule may be different this year than last so hopefully my question is not premature.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The event schedule will definitely be different, no endurance or AMA RRGC classes.

You can enter the B Superbike Novice class. You can enter any National Challenge or Vintage classes you are legal for. Basically there are three different series, Sportsman Series at the GNF you have to have run the class prior as it is winner take all for the National Championship, the other two series the GNF is the final points paying round for the National Championships so those are open to anyone with a WERA license.

13. Yamaboy

Yamaboy Active Member

Thank you. Appreciate the info and look forward to the event.