1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08 R6 Problems

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jeremy dunn, Mar 19, 2012.

1. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the beeb can help me out here, I'm having a problem with the bike & can't figure out what it is. It will start cutting out at random times, sometimes mid-corner when i start to get back on the throttle, sometimes exiting the corners & sometimes while full throttle on the straights. Also it varies on how it cuts out, sometimes it will be just a little skip, other times it cut out so bad it will kick me out of the seat. Once this weekend before the 600ss race I started the bike & it wouldnt take the throttle at all, I would try to rev it up & it would just skip, then all of a sudden it would rev fine. Any ideas on what it could be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

have you checked the header temps to see if you can isolate it to a specific cyl? but yours sounds bad enough it is the motor completely cutting out. run it without the power com. or other fuel mgmt, or do you have a kit box? others may have better suggestions but that is a place to start.

3. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Test/ replace your coil sticks

4. MELK-MAN

I just havn't seen these be a problem on the 3rd gen bike, and no way would all 4 missfire at one time unless there was some other issue making them not fire

5. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

When did the bike start acting that way? did you change/upgrade anything?

6. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Check battery- charging system. Seen it a couple times on the r6. Specifically mine.

7. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

My friends R6 did that this weekend and it was the voltage Regulator

8. MELK-MAN

yup. THIS IS common issue on these bikes. Pull the plug off the rr to see if any pins are burnt. And leave the rr in the stock position up in front of the radiator, it gets more air there and is less likely to have issues than in the "factory ama" position up on the frame.

9. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Also make sure your kickstand switch wires have a good connection.

10. jeremy dunn

checked the regulator & none of the plugs are burned, is there a way to check it to make sure it is working properly? Also it's showing codes 22 & 23 on the dash, what are those codes?

11. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

22 - Air Temp, SHORT or OPEN
    23 - Atompheric Pressure, SHORT or OPEN

You have wiring issues. Look for something simple.

12. MELK-MAN

could these sensors just be unplugged? the air temp sensor is on the ram air tube just in front of the fairing stay, the pressure sensor im pretty sure is on top of the airbox cover?

13. jeremy dunn

It just started last month, it was running fine when I parked it after the last event last season & I drained the tank & disconnected the battery. We were going down to NOLA & i put fuel in it & connected the battery & fired it up. It fired right up, idled & reved fine but I didnt think about riding it. Got down to NOLA & it wouldn't run, was cutting off & skipping just like it was this weekend. I swapped out the battery thinking that was it then I get to Roebling & it was doing the same thing.

It has the Bazzaz TC system installed, I have tried multiple maps & turned the TC completely off & there was no change. The Bazzaz system has been installed from the start & was running fine before I parked it for the winter.

14. MELK-MAN

just draining the tank often isn't good enough with todays ethanol fuels if the bike is gonna sit for more than a month or 2.

15. jeremy dunn

We pulled the fuel pump out @ NOLA & cleaned it because we thought it might be the fuel pump. I'm thinking it's something electrical since it's very hit & miss & not consistant. I'm still stumped...

16. MELK-MAN

but did you check fuel pressure, ya need 47-50psi. 47 is minimum spec per the manual. just cause you can hear the pump prime doesn't mean it's makin pressure. if you pull the fuel line of the pump after priming and you get a solid "phooosh" and some spray of fuel it is likely working decent, and hook a hose to the pump and prime it into a bucket. if you get a good stream that might be good to but best to get an inline gauge. or swap with a known good pump.

17. jeremy dunn

No we didn't check the pressure, I'll pull the line off of it & try to check it tho

18. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

The pump wouldn't cause those codes. Fuel starvation issues usually manifest themselves at the top, not during mid-corner, too. I'd still chase down why it thinks your atmospheric sensora are out.

19. blue03R6

blue03R6 Well-Known Member

you know the R6 has a built in diagnostic feature? you can use the instrument cluster to test all the sensors, coils, injectors etc.

the service manual shows you how. look for the fuel injection chapter. (8 I think)
    right click save as...
    http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/pdf/LIT-11616-21-61.pdf

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  20. jeremy dunn

Thanks for the responses guys, I think(hope) we found it. We think it was the wires where the fuel management system hooks to the TPS. It comes with the clips that crimp over the wires so we too those off so we took them off & soldered the wires together. I rode it around the neighborhood & it seemed to run ok, I'll update to make sure if that was it or not.