1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08 r6 does when chop throttle

Discussion in 'Tech' started by noles19, Aug 25, 2020.

1. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

So tried unhooking all the extra stuff and no change, so I tried advancing the tps, I had the bike in diagnostic mode and set the tps to 18. And every time I do that and then turn the bike of and back on and check the tps setting again in diagnostic mode and it says 16 no matter where I set it .. that's not normal I take it?

2. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Make sure your clutch switch and neutral switch all work properly. FI mapping is different based on in gear/ neutral and if engine braking is needed or not.

noles19 likes this.
  3. noles19

I'll double check those thank you

4. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Regardless I'd pull the pump from the tank and inspect and clean it. Those things get nasty and cause all kinds of un-explainable issues. I'm really curious to know what you find out regarding this issue. Keep us posted. Good reading and good troubleshooting here.

5. noles19

I've been out of town this week, but I'm going to clean the tank and I also bought a set of throttle bodies with tps sensors on them so I'm going to try that also..

6. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Doesn't @MELK-MAN clean throttle bodies as a service? He's also an R6 Guru. Prob too busy riding dirty bikes anyway. :)

7. noles19

He cleans injectors

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

sold my part of bus a couple years ago, but Jim still does injector cleaning (not throttle bodies). www.proflowtech.com
    we try to set our TPS at EMRY's suggestion to 18 in diag mode, but 16 with closed throttle is still in spec. Holding the start button 2-3 seconds AFTER the engine is already running, has worked on some bikes in past. Odd but true. Lots of other stuff can be off with these bikes, just have to keep tracking stuff down.

noles19 likes this.
  9. noles19

I tried different throttle bodies and just the different tps, and it still does it. So I'm going to try a friend's ecu and see if it helps...

10. noles19

Tried the ECU didn't really see a difference, so I put my ecu back in and tried it again.it seemed pretty good until the engine got up to about 160 degrees, once it got to 170 degrees it got worse and worse. So my question for more knowledgeable people is would valves being out of spec cause this?

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

checking valve clearance is easy.. ADJUSTING valves, not so much.

12. noles19

Ha! I bet, I'm going to check them in the am and see. At this point I just want to find the answer

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Has the bike been ridden yet? I revived a 2nd gen that had sat and went through similar hell, injectors, fuel pump, TPS adjustment, valve check/adjustment, and could not get it to behave on stands. Finally just rolled the thing onto the track in a lightly attended open practice and put it under actual load, first lap and it came right out of it and was happy after that.

14. noles19

I road it down the street a couple times.
    I'm scheduled for Dyno time next week so I'll check the valves and then go from there I suppose

15. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see what the AFR is like?

16. noles19

Well I'm going to have my dad double check my work(he's a car mechanic) but it looks to me like all but one exhaust valve is tight
    Spec is 0.016mm and I can't get a 0.015mm in there

17. noles19

Got the valves in spec and still have the issue.

Checked the coils and they are in spec.
    Any guesses?
    Keep searching or just fucking send it?

18. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Seems like it is getting too much air (mixture is off) but I am no mechanic.

19. noles19

That's kinda what my dad said, so I pulled the throttle bodies off and swapped the boots and no change, so I don't think there is a air leak, at least not from there or the air box because I swapped that too

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Don't assume, test. Get it running, hose the boots down with brake and parts cleaner and see if the behavior suddenly changes.