1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08 r6 does when chop throttle

Discussion in 'Tech' started by noles19, Aug 25, 2020.

1. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

08 r6 and swapped in a new (used good condition engine) and finally getting ready to take it to the dyno
    But having a fuel issue I believe.
    Bike starts fine, idles fine revs beautifully. The problem is after I rev it to say 8-10k it'll still be running but when it drops to idle it idles at less rpm than it's suppose to, 1000 ish vs 1500-1800.
    And it idles rough. But it revs fine and if you give a little gas it's fine.
    And then sometimes if I rev it and let the throttle go instead of idling it just cuts off.
    Bike was apart for a while and has a translogic auto blipper and quick shifter all works correctly, I added a z-fi but it did it before that was installed also.
    Bike has new plugs and a clean filter and fresh gas. Battery tests fine also.
    Clogged injectors?
    Other suggestions?

2. Try starting it and keep holding the start button 2-3s after it fires up.

3. Post back but I’d bet that will fix the issue, DO NOT adjust anything on the throttle bodies like the screw on the back of the TB’s. Theory on this IIRC is holding down the button gives the ecu more time (sample) of starting data to make its adjustments accordingly. Was a common problem with that gen and I’ve seen it happen after a motor swap 3 x myself. All 3x the button fixed it. RM Racing gave me the button trick so I take no credit for it.

4. noles19

Thanks I'll give that a try, and Definitely won't mess with the screws haha

5. First time I did thought WTF, cannot be that easy, sure as shit it was.

noles19 likes this.
  6. noles19

Man I hope so, shit is driving me crazy..

7. Beats changing jets when the weather changes :)

8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Is this common to do on 2004’s? .........the first with FI. I’ve got my almost son in laws r6 here, and sometimes it does similar to what OP is saying. Also if I accelerate semi aggressively and chop the throttle it will run like it’s on 2 or 3 cylinders, but randomly clears up and back to 4.Haven’t had a chance to dig in yet, but this has me wondering if this is common on these gens as well.

9. No idea. I’ve only tried it on 06 and up.

10. noles19

Well cleaned the injectors, made them fire and shot cleaner through them.
    And tried the button trick and started and was good! Then turned it off and tried again and back to the same issue...
    Any ideas?

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

i wonder if the throttle body circuits are dirty? Happened on my scooter that has the ecu on the throttle body.

noles19 likes this.
  12. Did you do the starter button trick the second time, or at least try it? Checked fuel pump/ filter? Re reading your original post, did you JUST swap the motor or change other stuff during that process? Either way go back to the last known good set up, minus engine of course.

13. noles19

Yep tried the button trick a few times after the first. Ill check the fuel pump tomorrow again, I wouldn't think it would rev cleanly if it was that but I'll try anything

14. What was installed during the motor swap? Was it just the motor?

15. noles19

Just the motor, started it and it had this issue but since it had only a tiny tiny bit of glass in it I assumed that was the cause. Then I installed the z-fi and realized the issue wasn't because it was low on gas

16. noles19

Also in diag mode the tps test is 16 at close and then goes to 101 when I open the throttle all the way.
    I'm thinking of adjusting it to 18 closed?

17. No idea there but what does the Bazazz say as far as TPS? I don’t know off the top of my head what the 0 should read for tps.

18. noles19

I honestly have no idea what the bazzaz says as far as Tps..
    From my manual the tps zero reading should be 16-19 and from what I've seen melka and others suggest it being 18 but I doubt that's my issue?

19. Well if your zero point is lower than it should be would make sense that it stalls. I’d move it to higher end of the spec and give it a try. Also calibrate the bazazz after we far as throttle position. Personally I’d unhook it until you figure this issue out.

20. noles19

I think that's my game plan, I'm going to advance the tps and unhook the trans logic and bazzaz, and then try it. And then start hooking stuff back up...