1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

07 GSXR 600 Head Removal

Discussion in 'Tech' started by drnick_710, Nov 29, 2020.

1. drnick_710

drnick_710 Member

Hey all, I need to pull the head of my 07 GSXR 600. I have very low compression in cylinder 2 - despite the valves checking out, air is leaking past the intake valves. Also I have one valve retainer in 3 pieces, and it took the tip of the valve stem with it.

Can the head be removed with the engine in the bike? Or if so, is it faster/easier to drop the motor anyway. I have the service manual, but any tips or tricks, or a heads up on any special tools, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Its 20 min worth of more work to pull the motor. Do you have a floor jack?
    You can buy a standard engine stand from HF for ~$30... some angle stock cut & drilled... you can use the stock bolts
    to hang it. Makes it much easier to work on since you can roll it up to your counter or in the corner when youre done.

Peter Hively likes this.
  3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Valve probably hit the piston anyway. Take the engine out.

You will need the special tool that adjusts the engine mount collars at minimum.

4. drnick_710

drnick_710 Member

That's a good thought on potential damage to the piston, thanks. And the engine stand is a good idea too. Sounds like dropping the motor is a no brainer. Fingers crossed there's no unexpected issues!

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yeah, for the little bit of extra work drop it, so much easier.

6. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Plus you'll be able to clean the frame, the engine and everystuff. When in doubt, yank it out. :)