1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

05 R6 front caliper question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by John Hancock, May 22, 2017.

1. John Hancock

John Hancock Well-Known Member

What years will fit on an 05? Looking to get a newer set due to one of mine has some pistons that aren't working like they should.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if they measure at 108mm between the mounting bolts... 06-16 should fit.

3. John Hancock

Thanks I'll check that.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I strongly encourage you to rebuild your existing calipers as the "new" set (used, I'm certain) might be in as bad of shape, if not worse, than your existing calipers. Rebuild sets are cheap (probably cheaper than a used set of unknown condition calipers), and they give you piece of mind that everything is working correctly. if you don't feel confident in your ability to rebuild brakes, I am sure that there is someone near you who is willing to help.

However, you might want to just clean the calipers first, as the usual reason for sticking pistons is dirt, plain and simple. Pull the calipers (leave the hoses attached), remove the brake pads, and pump the brakes until the pistons are past the dust seal. Then spray them with simple green or other soap, scrub around the pistons with a toothbrush, rinse, repeat. Then press the pistons back into the caliper, install the pads, and install the calipers. Pump to set the pads and then see how they work. And this lets you check the condition of the pads and all of the other assorted brake parts while you are down there.

5. John Hancock

I thought about rebuilding them but I've wasn't sure how big of a task it would be. I guess I might as well try. Worse case is I have to buy another set.

6. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Doing what Pscook said above is a few hour job. Personally, I like to completely remove my pistons and clean them (along with the whole caliper). Also gives you a chance to take a look and make sure the seals are all good. But depending on the type of caliper you have, it may add a decent amount more labor to the equation.

7. John Hancock

Are rebuild kits universal or are they specific? I guess I need to
    so how do I get the pistons out without scoring the sides? I tried compressed air but a couple of them are still stuck.

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

To remove the pistons with air, you need to have all of them in. Then, when the first one moves, hold it in place until the second one moves, and so on. I leave the pads in place on one side and compress them all of the way down. Then I clamp that side in place and do the same to the other side. You need to basically work each piston and side against each other. It isn't easy, but it's mostly trial and error until you get them out enough where they all move equally. But I found that pressing them all in until they are flat really helps free them up to remove them.

If you decide to put your fingers in between the pistons, well, wear gloves. Or stuff a rag in there to hold the loose ones in place. It is rather unpleasant when that piston pops against your finger, especially an exposed knuckle.

They sell piston pliers (example) which might help, but I have cannon plug pliers which I use to grab the exposed portion of the piston and wiggle them out if the air doesn't work.

And I just read about using a grease gun to remove pistons. I have seen this method before, I just forgot about it. I think I'll try that method next time I'm into my calipers.

John Hancock likes this.
  9. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Not sure about the rebuilt kits, but they always seem to be expensive. Haven't had to actually buy a set yet.

Once again, see the above post! I agree with using a rag or glove. 40 psi can make those pistons really pop out when they go!

Also, HIGHLY recommend wearing goggles when you're doing this. Brake fluid loves to spritz around when you're using compressed air. Does not feel good on your eyes, ask me how I know...

pscook and John Hancock like this.
  10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I just use caliper piston pliers. Simple, quick, and no busted knuckles or brake fluid air freshener.

pscook likes this.
  11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

12. John Hancock

for that price i can't afford not to at least give it a try. I like that it's on a boat site.

pscook likes this.
  13. John Hancock

this is what i like about this forum, you guys go the extra mile to help out with this type of stuff. thanks guys

pscook likes this.
  14. John Hancock

UPDATE. Last night i reinstalled the original MC and another set of calipers. I have already tried this combo before with no luck. After trying to bleed the system for 45 minutes with no luck, i was ready to burn the bike. I sat on my shop chair and looked over the whole setup from brake lever to calipers. As i sat there i noticed that the lines going into the MC didn't look right. I remember attaching them and having a hard time getting the mc to seat with the clip on. I was fighting it to align so i could bolt it on. So i took the lines and reversed them on the mc and when i went to reattach the mc to the clip on it just fell into place. 2 minutes after bleeding i had brake pressure. Im not sure why this was the problem but thats what it was. One of the brake lines does have more of a bend at the banjo than the other one does. Anyway took it out for a trip thru the neighborhood and its good to go.

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Great news! It sounds like the angle banjos were causing a slight air gap, which prevented the lines from pressurizing.

So, how did it go rebuilding your calipers? Or are you going to swap these out when another piston sticks? I certainly hope that you properly cleaned the calipers and pistons before you installed them?

16. John Hancock

i didn't rebuild them. i bought another set off ebay and cleaned them thoroughly. i will take the original set and rebuild them. Yep the angle of the banjos were the culprit.

pscook likes this.