1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'04 CBR600RR Suspension and braking modifications help/recommendations

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Night_King, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Night_King

Night_King Well-Known Member

To gauge where I'm coming from this is just a track day bike. I don't race yet and I ride in C/B groups

This past weekend I was using up all of the front travel in the forks and had very low stability while hard braking (granted I'm getting faster also) Slid the front end a few times and had a few pucker up moments. I run EBC EPAF front pads that help slow this thing down but the front lever still has more travel than I would like to have too. I like more power less movement like my Ducati has. The CBR has an Ohlins rear shock and I've had the sag set for me but it still has stock front Showa forks and master cylinder.

Here are my thoughts on how to fix this situation but I'm cautious about how much I put into this knowing at some point it just makes sense to buy a newer bike...

- add Race Tech springs for my weight $120
    - and since its apart add the Race Tech Gold Valve kit $150 (worth it?)
    - add Brembo MC 19x18 possibly? $300 ish

I'm open to thoughts or suggestions on other parts or ideas that might help me keep the cost low but also dial this thing in a bit more.

I think the springs are a must. Possibly those and thicker oil will do?

CBR723 likes this.
  2. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

If you are going to get suspension send it to someone with the knowledge. They know what works and part of what you pay for is advice and support. Will not cost much more unless you were going to do work yourself and u probably won't be in the ball park. It's good for learning the work but may frustrate u running in circles. Don't need a master cylinder yet but get good lines if u don't already have them with good fluid and change pads every few track days. Work with suspension guy and be consistant, he can't help if u can't explain the sensation or problem. Seat time seat time seat time!

Night_King likes this.
  3. Night_King

I hear ya with the seat time and I know I need more of it for sure. Thats why I want to keep the $ low for tires and track fees. I know its better spent there at this point. I also agree with working with one suspension guy will help move this along quicker. Trying to find a suspension guy that is regularly at the same event or isn't trying to sell every part he has is hard to come by in Los Angeles though.

I'll probably do the install work myself. I'm fairly confident in being able to do the work I'm just not familiar with brands or the parts and quality of anything besides Ohilns or Penske. I used to build shocks for a top NASCAR team in the early 2000's and raced karts and late models for half my life. Working with forks and two wheels is what's new to me not the mechanics of dampening or what my ass can feel, lol.

I have stainless steel lines and running Motul 660 fluid. Still doesn't give me the feel I want.

4. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Thermosman for suspension needs even if your just buying parts he can hook you up with knowledge to help you get it right. Like I said just be consistant in your line choice and riding so you know if a change you've made had positive or negative affect .

Night_King likes this.
  5. duc995

duc995 Yep…

You’ll have to keep experimenting until you find a setup you like. Try different types of pads.

Night_King likes this.
  6. Night_King

I’ll look him up. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Night_King

Sounds expensive, lol

8. duc995

duc995 Yep…

It can be! I tried different rotors/calipers/mastercylinder/and pads before I was satisfied.

Night_King likes this.
  9. Night_King

I’m curious what you settled on for you setup?

10. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Did that 04 have standard or radial master? I have 07 but can't remember when switched. You may can oem honda from fleabay or salvage yard for cheap and improve feel without pumping 300+ for brembo. It's a thought anyway. I loved my brakes and sbs dual carbons.

11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Swap a 05-06 inverted front end on. You'll get radial calipers and better forks. They didn't go to radial master until 07, but you can swap that on too.

Night_King likes this.
  12. Night_King

Standard on the MC.

I've considered the swap for the reasons you mentioned. But for me if I put $600-$800 in the front end then another $300-$500 with the correct springs and pistons. I'd almost rather sell this bike and put that money into something newer.

13. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

You won't need to upgrade the internals much if any. I ride a stock 07 600RR in advanced all over the place and do fine. They are the same front end as the 05-06

Night_King likes this.
  14. Night_King

Good to know. I didn’t realize the 07 was the same front end as the 05-06. I’ll look around and see if I can find one for decent price. I’d rather have that than put too much into the ‘04 forks if I go that route.

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the best suggestion in here is to send out your current forks for a revalve.

the stock valving on the 07+ front end is garbage IMO. if u buy a front end, you'll pay for the front end AND still have to re-valve it. dont waste your money. I raced an 04 and an 09. I went plenty fast on the 04 with a re-valved front end and Ohlins shock. I went a tiny bit faster on the 09 with its front-end re-valved. then I went a lot faster with aftermarket fork carts on it.

Night_King likes this.
  16. 418

418 Expert #59

Call T-man

Night_King likes this.
  17. Night_King

Thanks for input. I found a cheap ‘06 front end that I’m going to swap over to the ‘04 ($200) my main reasoning for that is I didn’t want to put a lot into the old style forks then want to upgrade at a later date and do another re-valve. I’d rather just do it now and move forward hopefully being a little more future proof. I really like this bike so I’m hoping to keep it for a while.

Speaking with him now. The quote he gave me for the ‘04 wasn’t worth it for the age of the bike. Hence why I went with the ‘06

18. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

dont keep the 04 for a while. it rides like a tank and is terrible on the track once u really start moving fast. aftermarket part support is already low too. the second u get the itch to spend real $ for better laptimes, buy a 07+ race bike with quality suspension for $3000 (or an 08+ R6 for $5500).

Laz likes this.