1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

04/05 GSXR750 ride height And setup?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gixxie750, Apr 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

Just thought i'd ask what are some ride height settings for my 04 GSXR 750? I know the 06/07 gsxrs need the front end raised,but what do i do for an older gsxr. As of now I have no clue on what to try. Any help or old set-up notes you may have or know? Thanks

2. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

The front gets raised and the rear shimmed if stock or set higher with an adjustable shock. My forks are in the triples by about .050 and the rear shimmed 5mm. I also have the traxxion 10mm extenders. This is a 04 600 with stock internals and stock shock. Your mileage may vary.

3. vance

vance *

Just searched the same subject. Also pm'd a member here, hopefully he'll get back to me. What I found was 335mm eye to eye in rear and anywhere from 5mm showing to flush on the forks. These were with Michelin, but I'm guessing the Power ones are going to be different than what everyone was running 5 years ago....
    Also, it seems like a lot of the guys were drawing the rear wheel back as far as possible, even adding links to chains to get it back farther.
    Edit: that 335mm was on a penske rear, which is what I have

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  4. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

why were they drawing the rear wheel back? I just put on a 16/45 sprocket setup from stock as i am heading to tally at the end of the month. that moved the wheel forward about 1/2 to 3/4". i guessed that would be it turn quicker too. is there a stability issue with the wheel to the front of the swing arm slot?

5. vance

vance *

Don't shoot the dumb messenger:D
    All I know is I've found posts that said lots of guys were pulling the rear wheel back, even going with a 112 link chain to draw it back more.
    I'm new to all of this, but my new understanding of it is that when you go to a bigger sprocket and it pulls the rear wheel forward it actually raises the rear of the bike, so you would need to lower the rear to keep the same geometry....
    I really don't know

6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

On my 2004 GSXR600 T-Man told me is that you want to have the axle as far back as possible on that year because it gives you greater mid-corner stability. I used 112 links as Vance stated. As far as front ride height I believe I had 12mm from the top of the fork (not cap) showing. Personal preference. I had a hard time in turn and 12mm seemed to be right for me but made it slippery on turn in. If I had to do it over again I would have used the recommended setting. T-Man recommended 5-7mm I believe. Front sag I had 37mm and rear was 24mm. In the rear I had 339mm eye-to-eye. Front compression I was using 3/4 out. Front rebound was 1 1/4 out using Ohlins valving and shim stack. I was using an Ohlins 46PRXL and 20 clicks out on rebound and for the compression was 12 out on low speed and 24 on hi-speed. I'm glad I kept my notes. :D I hope this helps you.

Note: The 750 and 600 shared the same basic components for that year.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  7. vance

vance *

Hey Gixxerblade, am I headed in the right direction with my thought?
    Once you set up a geometry with a certain brand of tire that you're confortable with, are you guys measuring the circumference of each tire in order to move the front and rear up/down to keep the same geometry?
    I've seen guys measuring tires and then marking them with crayons. Is this what they're doing?

8. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Yes. I should have mentioned that. I was using Pirellis back then and then switched to Bridgestones then back to Pirellis (didn't like the Bricks). I didn't need to adjust for circumference for the tire because they shared the same circumference but there is a huge difference in ride height going from one tire to the next, generally. The tire guy should know his tire circumferences in order for you to compensate.

9. vance

vance *

Ok. So once we've picked a baseline set up, in general, what will the changes theoretically acomplish?
    ie: dropping the front will.....
    raising the front will.....

10. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

Wow! Thank you and thanks vance for getn this thread going! I feel like my bike is to low in the front and it always pushes. I have totally been slacking on my suspension setup and prob should see where mine compares to whats listed here.

11. vance

vance *

I've "half-assed" long enough:D
    There's tons of info here and plenty of people willing to share it. Might as well use it. :beer:
    It may not make me faster, but I'll at least be able to blame it on my God-given lack of ability rather than my laziness to track down some info:D

12. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

On my 05 600 (same bike), I changed set-up all over the place. My very last weekend, I finally went back to stock geometry and the thing flat out railled. I believe it was 332 at the shock and 5-7mm in the front. This was for Dunlop N-tecs (190 rear).

Unfortunately, the bike felt so darn good that I decided to let her ride herself....ground, air, ground....

Last ride on that bike....

13. vance

vance *

Here's another suggestion from another member. Thanks again roy826ex for the replies.:beer:

Yes that was a while back. To the best of my memory I ran the fork tubes 5mm up in the triple. Rear ride height was 336mm or in the neighborhood. Running the axle as far back as possible is best. Sag numbers were 36-38 mm front 26-28 rear. I hope I don't have the numbers confused with my '07 but I do believe they are close.

Personal preferences aside, it looks like rear wheel back, 5mm in front, 335-336 mm in rear is a pretty good place to start.
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

14. Modifyd4

Modifyd4 Well-Known Member

I had a pretty stock 05 GSXR 600 for track days a while back and completely had my suspension setup / reworked ohlins 20mil kit upfront, penske 2 clicker in the rear.

The bike is completely different I had to relearn to ride it, I had a suspension guy set it up, I know the ride height is taller for sure, I can barely get my tip toes down in my race boots, I recently used a 15/46 gear setup at Jennings and when I put the 15 on the front it pushed the rear wheel back even further, I dont remember the link count on the chain but its like 2-3 bars from maxed out in the back.

I did notice that my last track day it needed alot more effort on turn in, but it felt extrememly confident in the corners and planted. I am on 120/190x55 211 ntecs. Right now this bike seems setup for more than I can handle but I am hoping I can grow into it. I lost some mojo after my crash, trying to pickup the pace.

Cool topic hope to read some more. I believe my bike is setup very similiar to that of the above T-man suggesstion, but like I said my suspension guy sets it up and I havent tried to pickup suspension tuning as part of my tool box just yet.

15. vance

vance *

What size increments should you make when adjusting the front and rear?

Suggestions were roughly:
    335mm rear
    5mm showing on forks.

I'm 331mm rear
    <3mm on forks...

Do I adjust from where I'm at, or is that "close enough" to the suggested settings to start with?

16. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

move it and see what happens, going 4 up in the rear will make a big differance.

17. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

Finally took all the measurements. Bike ran quite well for me. running consistent 1:08's at Tally for reference.

05 750
    230lb rider
    Ohlin 25mm front/ohlin rear
    120/70 180/55 Power One/Power Race (31/24 cold)

Fork:
    6.5mm to to of cap or 0mm to top of tube
    3/4T Comp
    6 clicks Rebound

Shock:
    334mm e to e
    4 clicks Rebound
    2.5T out Comp
    14 clicks out HS Comp

Rear Wheel:
    16/45 w/ 110 links
    21.5mm to back of block from rear of swingarm (or 7 lines exposed)

Will get SAG next time I have help.

18. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

If you have an ohlins shock it is real easy to adjust the preload that changes your ride height then test ride the bike that makes it easy to know what way to go as to your shock length, same goes for the front i have the preload adjuster things on the front so it makes it easy to adjust the front with no tools.

19. vance

vance *

I have Penske front and rear.
    I'll have to raise the forks in the triple, no big deal.
    When I "Lenghten" the rear shock, does that change my rear sag?

20. sokali

sokali Well-Known Member

Not sure if the 03 is much different than the 04/05, but raising the forks might be the wrong way to go. Two of the top suspension shops here, recommend dropping the forks in the triples. One of them likes the stock shock height, but the other likes to raise the rear about 10mm.

On my 03, I have the fork caps 4mm lower than the top triple (I didn't feel like spending 200 on fork caps) and the shock has 8mm shims. I'm no expert, but isn't that like raising the forks 4mm? Except the wheelbase is a little longer now and there's more ground clearance (the pegs are higher?). Like I said, I'm not an expert, but my bike was set up by one. :D