1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

`03 SV650 questions?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by racerfranz, Jan 20, 2009.

1. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

I've talked to Huey at length about this,(`til he was blue in the face). I've just bought an `03 SV and I'm curious if anyone has had any engine, (ie:crank) issues with theirs? Just looking for feedback from the SV folks, Mine is stock with pipe, and I plan to put PCIII on with quickshifter. Pretty much going to run it stock until I'm going reasonably fast. Thanks...

2. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i broke a crank on one 03 motor, and a rod on another. havent had too many problems since on my other year models.

3. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

That's concerning.

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

The rods in the '03 suck..heck the entire 2nd gen SV rods suck. My engine builder was suprised I hadn't grenaded one in the two race seasons I put on my stock '03 motor.

The '03 is odd in that it has a 1st gen transmission and 2nd gen crank and rods.

5. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

what is the difference between first and second gen trans? I know the gen two rods are thinner, I have a motor in my garage that broke one.

6. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

only difference in transmission is length of drive shaft.
    03 is unique in some parts to any other year but not more or less prone to exploding :)
    don't make me start pulling pics of all broken parts not 03 :)
    ps.rods changed in 07.

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Gen 2 rods are thinner? I understood they look even weaker than the 2nd gen rods. I haven't seen 1st gen rods in person though...only the 2nd gen ones removed from my motor.

Zoran any idea if the 07+ rods are better than the '03-'06?

8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

yes.

9. Speedemon518

Speedemon518 Well-Known Member

I have raced my '03 for 4 years now and haven't had any issues with the crank, roda, or any other part of the motor.

10. Arctic Donkey

Arctic Donkey Well-Known Member

I raced my 03 with nothing more than a pipe and PC3 for 3 years with no problems. Then I put in Carillo rods and went to a total loss system with a lightened ignition rotor, still no problems (with crank). A season for me is only 6 race weekends, a couple of track days and maybe one 4hr endurance.

11. gerryb

gerryb Well-Known Member

Check with Greg at Spears Racing, he might be able to shed some light..

12. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Thanks all! I have not taken delivery yet, but put down the deposit on it. Seems it will be fine. I'll take my chances.