1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

03 600rr smoking

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Stephen81, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Stephen81

Stephen81 Well-Known Member

I have an 03 with about 23k miles on the odo and 2 track days full arata K&N and pc3 not tuned when i run it hard it will smoke white in puffs. Expecially when i down shift. I assume its burning the oil. My question is it cause by the valves not seating or is it possibly in the bottom end. Also any idea what a fix would cost. Is this typical of 600r's

thanks for any help
    stephen

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Is it a faint bluish white, or is a puffy bright white?

Faint bluish white is burning oil and, especially under high negative load on the engine (engine braking), usually signifies rings that are not sealing well.

Bright puffy white that's fairly constant is coolant that's leaking into the cylinders and usually signifies a blown headgasket.

Replacing the rings is fairly cheap in parts but will cost you some coin in labor, as your engine most likely requires the cases to be split in order to remove the pistons.

3. Stephen81

Stephen81 Well-Known Member

Yeah its usually a puff upon downshifting:down: was hoping for head gasket maybe i just need a built motor:)

4. Josh Whitehead

Josh Whitehead Crash Test Dummy

I have a low mileage 03 600rr motor if you need one, shoot me a pm if you are interested

5. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

Guides are shot with 23K on the head. That means a valve job with new valves and guides.

The valve guides will need to be re-hammered in the head and never line up perfect with the old seat. So, add machining to the head work.

Every time you have an intake stroke, this will draw air from the guide gap as well. This is what draws in that tiny film of oil; sits in the exhaust because there is no push out the back, a key number holds it in place so it stays there trapped.

You hit the throttle, it more or less heated up more and cooked white. You keep feeding oil into the chamber, it will make more carbon and thus, harder for the plug to clean itself.

Bottom end? You mean blow by? No, or should I say, yes. Yes to low oil level caused by excessive loss is now your bottom end is compromised.