1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

“We must do more to help consumers protect themselves". Really????

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Cannoli, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

"Passwords just won't cut it here," said Commerce Secretary Gary Locke, who announced the initiative at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. “We must do more to help consumers protect themselves, and we must make it more convenient than remembering dozens of passwords,” he said.

Why does this administration feel they need to protect us from ourselves? Do they really think the American public is that dumb? Granted there are some dumb people, but I would tell them to "learn to swim"!

Would you sign up for this? It's basically a government run CAC card which gives them full access to all your accounts.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/04/15/obama-administration-unveils-internet-id-plan/

2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

They're laying off teachers and cutting in education....

3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

The first sentance alone is moronic enough...

So, let me see if I understand. We cant our passwords secure enough as it is, so lets have 1 single password that grants access to our entire identity...

Typical gov. idiocy.

4. blueduc37

blueduc37 Well-Known Member

I know! Put a simple mark somewhere on your body. That way your identity can't be stolen. Somewhere prominent, like your forehead or right hand.

Three digits should do it.

5. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I have 10 digits on my hands...

6. vance

vance *

Sounds like it's still in early "hypothetical" phase.
    I wonder if some of this stuff is more of a feeler to see the mood of the country...
    "Let's start a national identity system that we'll have access to and see if people want to sign up or shoot us over it"
    I'm guessing this won't go over very well, but what do I know..

7. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

And people bitch about the Patriot Act. Since it's from the Obama administration, there won't be much of backlash from the press.

8. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

There do have President Obama as overwhelming evidence.

9. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

And McCain running against him last presidential election...

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Remember when you lost your job and posted about it? Something you said stuck with me to this day: you said that in a way, it wasn't a bad thing and it would force you to live within your means. As if having a job means you don't need to feel constrained by the actual amount of money you make. You are part of the problem, buddy. Your help perpetuate the nanny state. :D

Can I get a KABOOM? :D

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!

:crackup:

12. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

The guberment has a great track record of cyber security right? None of thier shit ever gets hacked or compromised.

13. charles

charles The Transporter

All of you are dumber than doorknobs...only a select few know the innner workings of this new master plan for national consumer security, and fortunately for the beeb faithful, I was able to imbed myself in the insider group under pretext and mass confusion. Now the story must be told...

This, contrary to your narrow-minded thinking, is the ultimate consumer security protection package. Everyone will, sooner or later, be forced into participation in this scheme. Everyone will be issued a double secret personal password. Within time, the system will be compromised by security breaches, and the government will then have no other choice but to terminate the entire program, ending access to everyone's accounts everywhere. Since no one will have access to any accounts by electronic means, there will be total security; since the acocunts will sit unused,they will be confiscated so that the funds can be emptied into a government account, thus permanently ending any concern about security of accounts, money, credit, and so on. None of those things will be available in the Golden Age of Total Security, nor will they be needed or desired. Harmony, bliss, and contentment will sweep over the land, and all will be righteous.

14. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I don't agree that everyone will be forced into this scheme. I think the plan is to come up with such an unsavory solution that when presented with an alternative people will rejoice "Yes, that one".

I think the alternative is going to be biometrics. Scan your fingerprint or possibly your retina. Can't be stolen, can't be copied. It's coming.

15. charles

charles The Transporter

People don't want their eyeballs and fingers scanned, they want double secret passwords. Ask your friends and co-workers. Do you think I made that up?

16. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Fingers and eyes can be stolen no problem. People murder others for $5, you don't think they'll bat an eyelash at cutting off a finger?

17. charles

charles The Transporter

Thanks for pointing this out, some people are unaware of the increased trade in stolen eyeballs and fingers. In anticipation of any mandatory use of eye and finger scanning, I've stockpiled some spare eyes and fingers...you can always find a financially-strapped med student or homeless folks needing a few bucks.

18. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

"Fingers and eyeballs", you guys are so passé.

The gov't targeted id method will be anal. No one will want to usurp that.

What the Gov't learnt from Area 51 now will come in handy....

19. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Voluntary now, mando in the future. Can't cite it.
    My password is qwerty1234!@#$ for all my gov't accounts. :D

20. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I just wanted to up that one in case Noli missed it. :D