1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

“Free Solo” Movie - Climbing El Kapitan with no Rope

Discussion in 'General' started by Monsterdood, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I don't think she knew what she was getting into with him. I think she thought she knew, until she found out this dude is about climbing 100%. In the movie, it seems like she us trying to get him to change/commit to her wants, but he won't give it up. It is a huge part of what makes up his life.

2. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Watched it last night. Still can't fathom the magnitude of what he pulled off. It's on a level that I can't even comprehend. Did he literally have every move/hand/foot hold memorized?

The whole time I kept thinking that this chick was not a good influence in his path. He was obviously 100% committed and it seemed from the film that she was more of a distraction than anything. Hard to make an evaluation from a 90 minute film shot over a few years, but still. At his level he can't have any doubts or second-guessing of his "craft". I could kinda see that with her.

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Did yo see how thick and thurough his note books were

They certainly tried to play her like she was a distraction. But it seemed like she was good for him.

4. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Except when she dropped him...:eek:

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I watched Free Solo on the cruise ship last week. Good movie, great camera work, great editing. I like how they built characters and relationships. The look on his face after the Karate Kick was something special. I didn't totally understand what he said at that moment, but I totally got what he meant. I'm glad that I saw it and it didn't give me the heebie jeebies like I thought it would (regarding height/cliffs).

7. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Finally watched this last week. As a non-climber, this climb is incomprehensible to be. All I know is I had the heebie jeebies the whole solo'ing scene.

I can't imagine being that confident in something so challenging.

8. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

I'm curious about one thing. These days every sport has huge emphasis on hydration as being most important in achieving good results. Alex carried no water or any other drink with him while he climbed his balls off for over four hours in a dry climate. Is he super-human (well duh!), or did he cache water bottles before the climb?

9. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

He did cache water and some snack bars. And he’s super-human...

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

11. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

12. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Wow! That sucks. And to actually fall while using ropes. :(

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Damn :( RIP

14. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

That wasn't the same guy as the Free Solo movie though.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

16. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

17. ton

ton Arf!

18. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I spent 3 days climbing the nose when I was 24. I’ve seen the route first hand. watching Homeboy do that shit gives me a huge appreciation for the sheer willpower he possesses. I’ve only free soloed up to 10c on 4 pitches

19. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I hated watching The Alpinist. I didn’t know he was dead, but I knew he was dead.

badmoon692008 and R1Racer99 like this.
  20. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Watched it tonight, I felt the same way, the whole time I wanted to google to see if he was still alive because it was a few years ago and the shit he was doing was so insane. Wasn’t a surprising ending but damn it was sad.