1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘12 GSXR 750 penske triple w/5” spring?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gapman789, Dec 31, 2020.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

So I got a bike that came with a penske triple with a 5” spring vs 6” spring that is called for by penske, ohlins, jri, etc.....

What’s the consensus on the 5” spring vs 6”? There’s about 1/2” of thread left on the bottom of the shock body.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

It won't coil lock if the rate is correct. It might be a bit more of an effort to adjust preload if the collar is down in the swingarm tunnel, but that's about it as far as downsides go.

3. gapman789

Yup, I noticed that the preload collar is right at the swingarm opening....Looks like i can get to the front of the collar with the spanner if need be.

It's 600 lb spring, 205-ish suited up. The previous owner is similar in weight.

Thanks man.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Should be good on rate as well.

5. racerhead

racerhead Trackaholic

With the shorter spring you can also swap springs without needing a spring compressor.
    But yes it is difficult adjust on some bikes depending on swingarm location.

6. gapman789

Never had to use a spring compressor to remove spring on a Penske before. You just wind the preload collar all the way up, and the spring becomes 'unpressurized' so to speak. Remove the bottom hardware on the shock, and spring slides right off. Maybe that's the case with Ohlins and the others?

7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

You can also put spacer between spring and collar.