1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Öhlins shock remote hydraulic preload adjuster issues...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by duc995, Nov 13, 2017.

1. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Hey guys. Bought a used shock and just realizing that the hydraulic preload adjuster doesn’t seem to work. I realize it is a hydraulic system, so probably needs to be bled. There are no visible leaks. Does anyone know what kind of hydraulic fluid is used, and if there are any “tricks” to fix this? Can it be done without shipping somewhere? Thanks for any insight...

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's just shock oil, 1309, but it's really hard to bleed without a vacuum tool. Just not much fluid, and a tiny bit of air impedes function. Probably need a new seal anyway.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

4. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Yep. Thanks. Saw that video. Traxxion makes a collar to replaced the hydraulic device. I figured if it is possibly going to be removed and discarded, why not try and fix it...

5. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Just so it’s out there, I received an estimate from Race Tech to rebuild the preload adjuster: ~$215, plus shipping costs! The collar from Traxxion that eliminates the POS adjuster is ~$40. I’m going to do a home repair, and if that is inadequate i’ll be going with the Traxxion option.

6. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Save yourself the time, and just call Maxx now.

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

as a club racer, i'm kinda happy my JRi shocks don't have hydro adjusters. when i did run ohlins, a couple times i had springs changed, but i got the initial preload setting wrong. You have a narrow window of prelaod adjustibility. only goes so far and stops. Gotta pull stuff apart to reset it. 1 less thing to worry about without the fancy hydro adjuster. just my 2c

duc995 likes this.
  8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Have you called Thermosman, Jon Tyus, Eric Vallarta, Lenny Albin, or any of the others to see what they charge to rebuild your adjuster? I'm betting it's less than $215.

418, MELK-MAN and sanee like this.
  9. duc995

duc995 Yep…

I just can’t get past how it is a real failure point for the shock. The only solid setup that can’t fail is the replacement of the hydraulic setup completely. Besides, the hydraulic setup only gives like 10mm of preload adjustment before one would have to take the shock apart and move the stupid hydraulic part to make further preload adjustment. It might be “trick” - but right now it seems pretty stupid to me...

...Thanks for the encouragement though.

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Understood. I have callled broken stuff stupid many times. Then I realize I need it and fix it.

11. 418

418 Expert #59

Just call T-man.

12. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

The works Ohlins shocks don't use the hydraulic adjusters because of the potential failures. It's a combination of a pneumatic and mechanical collar you charge with a remote canister and then set preload mechanically and then depressurize once desired preload is set. Very trick and equally spendy.

As for the hydraulics, we've fixed them and we've replaced them with the Traxxion collars. When they work, they're nice. When they don't, you're stuck. In general, I'd prefer the conventional threaded collars.

jd41 and MELK-MAN like this.