front brake problems

Discussion in 'Tech' started by karl@lrrs, Sep 6, 2005.

1. karl@lrrs

karl@lrrs Well-Known Member

Ok I dont think you would call it Fade but... An 03 Sv 650 with stock rotors and calipers w/ stainless lines. Problem is sometimes I can pull the lever all the way to the grip, it happens whenever it wants, The lever is adjusted all the way out, I bleed them down after trying new brake fluid and put new EBC kit pads in, after you pump them up a bit they seem ok but after a while the the lever gets way to soft. Any ideas?

2. MarcLeonti

MarcLeonti Member

You should purchase a master cylinder rebuild kit from your local Suzuki dealer. They're relatively inexpensive and should solve your problem. Just make sure you put it in correctly! You see, there are a couple seals that push the brake fluid from the reservoir, through the perch, and into the brake line, etc. If one of these seals isn't sealing all of the time, it may not be pushing the fluid into the line when you squeeze the lever.

3. MarcLeonti

MarcLeonti Member

I just checked the price on a "piston/cup set" (that's what Suzuki calls it) and MSRP is $20.55

-Marc

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I think he was talking about the dust and piston seals. They are cheap! I did mine in a couple hours and voila! no more pulling all the way to the grip. Make sure to keep everything real clean. I thought it was pads warping, air in lines, etc., but I found out after closer inspection (I took everything apart) that one of my seals was leaking very very slowly. You probably have the same problem I would think and it lets air in their so by the end of the race or session you are feeling nothing with your brakes!:wow:

5. karl@lrrs

ok ordered the rebuild, thanks gus

6. karl@lrrs

Gus? ment thanks guys

7. LookOutRossi

LookOutRossi Banned

i've had fade problems all year too. we've bled those brakes a million times and it helps a little but they still suck. we've also done the caliper rebuild thing AND bought a new master cylinder. i'm fixin to order a brembo master c. because i busted mine this weekend in a crash. if that doesn't help... i'm cursed

8. MarcLeonti

MarcLeonti Member

Steel braided brake lines? Rubber lines expand when they heat up, you know...

9. LookOutRossi

LookOutRossi Banned

yeah they're steal

10. B.Augie

B.Augie Wera 930

Warped rotors?

11. LookOutRossi

LookOutRossi Banned

thats a negative too. we compared them to another gsxr's rotors(who didn't have this problem) and they were the same.

12. MarcLeonti

MarcLeonti Member

if it was warped rotors, you would know it within the first ten feet.

13. bluedogz

bluedogz Loooooooo budget

The only fade i've ever had on mine was due to old brake fluid, or severe overheating. What sort of fluid are you using? And have you checked for a sticking piston?

14. LookOutRossi

LookOutRossi Banned

15. bluedogz

bluedogz Loooooooo budget

Dot 4 from AutoZone (450 boiling point)

Or something like spectro or similar (600 boiling point)?

16. LookOutRossi

LookOutRossi Banned

i think its motul but i'll have to check