Need Some Help...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Mpnx2, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Mpnx2

Mpnx2 Active Member

So I finally rode my soon to be race bike. Its an 05 R6 that I picked up for cheap that had some front end damage. Anyways after getting it all together and riding it down the street I noticed the cilpons are not straight when the tire is going straight ahead. Its not off by too much but its enough to notice. I did put on Woodcraft clipons in case that matters. I seem to remember something that was posted here a while back about lossening the triple and starighting it maybe.

The damage to the front end was ebough of an impact break the OEM stay and the clipon and to bend (not break) the left steering stop which is the same way the bars are off. The forks dont seem bent and neither does the wheel. So is there a way to fix this by doing something with the triple clamp?

2. clarkandgrilli

clarkandgrilli Well-Known Member

Are just the clip-ons not straight or the triple tree or top of forks with the front wheel?

If its just the clipons then obviously just straighten them:D anything else and your tree may be tweeked. you can loosen everything up steering stem, and forks then tighten forks down then steering stem. If its still off then something is bent.

3. Mpnx2

Mpnx2 Active Member

Here si a quick pic of the triple from above with the front wheel straight...

Attached Files:

4. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Umm...you're joking, right? That is way more than a little off...it's bent. I doubt that straightening out the triple/fork alignment (loosening the triples) is going to fix that.

Do you live near a place that straightens bent forks and frames?

5. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

yup it be twisted...you can try to loosen the top nut and the fork tube clamp bolts. you need to get the ft wheel of the bike off the ground. Use jack stands under the motor or the frame sliders.

6. pvd

pvd Active Member

that would have been difficult not to have noticed earlier. especially since you knew of front end damage.

for your safety (really!), you may what to have a professional work on your bike.

7. andy342

andy342 Well-Known Member

Race Tech/ GMD Computrack 951-279-6655 x133. We are in the Los Angeles area.

Or post where you live and I'll tell you the closest one.

8. Mpnx2

Mpnx2 Active Member

I am in Ridgecrest CA which is like 75 miles north of Willow Springs. How much do you charge for the measureing/fixing porcess? Does the bike need to be stripped down beforehand? If so much just the plastics?

9. andy342

Measurement is $150. Please take off the plastics, headlight, and front fender.

After the measurement is done, we call you and let you know what's going on. If any parts need to be replaced I will discuss that with you.

Straightening the front end, frame, and subframe will run from $500 to $610. If your damage is in fact just in the forks and triples, the cost will be less.

If you want your suspension revalved at the same time, we can do that too. We support Nicky Moore who is currently running 6th in AMA Formula Extreme on an R6 with OEM suspension, front and rear, with Race Tech springs and off the shelf Gold Valves.

Call the shop Tuesday morning or pm me your number. We are in Corona.

Andy

951-279-6655 x133

10. Mpnx2

Mpnx2 Active Member

Can you maybe give me an estimate on how much to setup the suspension as well. I am interested. Just wanting to get a figure to work with. Also is there a timeframe on how long everything will take? A week? A month... Thanks and I will be in touch.

11. clarkandgrilli

clarkandgrilli Well-Known Member

First thing I would do is take wheel and forks off then loosen triples. try and line it up then put your forks back on after you have checked them again;) and wheel.

The look bent but I had my triples twist once and everything looked about like yours did. I would at least give it a go.

12. andy342

I'd say 2 weeks total to be safe.
    I don't have the suspension price lists in front of me.

13. MarcLeonti

MarcLeonti Member

I had a similar problem with my bike. You can be sure if the bike took a hard enough hit to break the steering stop that something is bent. It is usually the bottom triple clamp. You may be able to loosen the forks in the clamps and twist it back where it belongs, but it will more than likely go back to it's new (bent) shape. Buy a NEW steering stem / lower triple clamp and then go from there. Usually that's all it takes to get the front end back into an acceptable condition. Take a look at your lower triple clamp once you remove the forks from it. If you look into the clamps where the fork tubes go, you will surely see a spiral like wear pattern. This is how you know for sure the clamp is bent. Now throw it away because it is useless. While you're at it, look for small ring like shaped dents on the fork tubes caused by the edge of the triple clamp. Those fork tubes are easier to bend and dent than you think.

-Marc

14. Rich Graver

Rich Graver Well-Known Member

I used the computrac @ MPH in Ohio . It was well worth the money !! It not only does wonders for the way your bike handles but it does wonders for your confidence. You know it's straight. :up:

15. MarcLeonti

MarcLeonti Member

I have heard great things about computer aided frame straightening. From what I understand, you can make great improvements on a brand new, off the showroom floor, never been ridden motorcycle. I can only imagine how solid a bike must feel after being trued. How much did that cost, Rich Graver?

16. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Be sure to check the frame where the front faring stay bolts to the head bearing area. The frames are known to crack there when the front end takes a hit.

17. Rich Graver

Rich Graver Well-Known Member

It was $150 for the set up . And if there's tweeking and straightening to do I believe it would be by the hour.

18. Bernya1

Bernya1 Well-Known Member

I seem to have the same issue not quite as off as the pics but close...my thing is I only did a minor lowside...is it possible to do all that damage to the trees without smacking the front end on something???? Frame slider clipons rearset took all the hit in turn 5 at beaverrun..