gsxr600 alternator

Discussion in 'Tech' started by goodmatt78, Sep 6, 2005.

1. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

Anyone know the specs on the alternator? (in Amps or Watts)

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

approx.390W at 5000 r/min.
    info out of 01 gsxr 600 manual.

3. MarcLeonti

MarcLeonti Member

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you testing the charging coil? What year is the bike?

-Marc
    (Suzuki certified mechanic)

4. goodmatt78

We are rigging up lights for the 6 hr endurance at nelson. We have several different lighting combinations, but of course the best one for lighting, the bike's charging system won't keep up with.

I have been checking the regulated voltage across the battery terminals @ 5K rpm for each combination.

'02 GSXR600

5. MarcLeonti

MarcLeonti Member

Although the 01 uses a different stator than the 02 and 03, (part #31402-35F00 versus 31402-35F10) I still believe the info provided by TWF2 should be helpful if you know what kind of draw your lighting system is pulling. Also, keep checking voltage as you said you were. So long as you don't get below 13.5v DC at 5k RPM's, I wouldn't think you'll have any problems. You should also use a high quality battery tender to make sure the battery is in optimum condition before starting. Motorcycle charging systems are more for maintenance of a good battery, not for charging up a less than perfect battery, so if you start with a battery that isn't in a perfect state of charge, then you're only asking for trouble. I use a Battery Tender Plus, and it works great. I think it cost me $50, and it has a 10 year warrantee. Just make sure your charger has a 'float' mode so it doesn't overcharge the battery. Your local motorcycle shop should be able to point you in the right direction.

6. goodmatt78

What will happen if the voltage drops to 13V or even 12.5V? With one combination, I think 13.5V is doable, but for the other it drops to the high 12's.

As for the battery tender....i have it on one as we speak! :up:

7. MarcLeonti

MarcLeonti Member

Anything less than 13.5v DC, and you are probably going to hurt your spark energy, not to mention decrease battery life, and wouldn't be reccomended. In my opinion, anything less than 13.0v DC would be absolutely unacceptable.