Who hates flying?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jugglenutz, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

Maybe, but haven't there been some major plane crashes in the last couple days? Greece...Venezuela...

2. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

You forgot Canada....they wrote off an A340, but somehow *nobody* died

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Crashing

It's no big deal, really. In most crashes, the real scary part shouldn't last over 90 seconds. Just enough time for a last prayer. And you'll be a mile or three closer to heaven when you say it. It's like FeDexing your prayer. Unless the bad part happens during landing. Then obviously you lose the benefit of altitude. But the fall is shorter.

Either way, there's a good chance you'll die from some kind of trauma before the fire. Or the drowning.

If you survive, there's a good chance your luggage will be lost. Can you say jackpot? $75, baby. Woo-hoo. And you'll be on TV. :up:

Glad I could help.

4. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Skydiving rules. :up:

5. Rrider

Rrider Well-Known Member

After loosing an engine about 30 sec. after takeoff a few weeks ago, I pretty much hate flying in big commercial jets. Small planes are another thing, there are many more choices available to put a little plane down.

Obviously, the pilot did a good job and we made it back to the airport unscathed. I have to say I was scared shitless the whole time!

Sorry if this didn't make you feel much better about flying! :Poke:

6. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

And you walked away. Wanna know why?
    Losing an engine at V1 is something commercial pilots practice in the simulator so much it would astound you. How many flights crash due to V1 engine losses? It is very rare. And there are so many redundant systems on a commercial jet it is rediculous.

Fly, Jeff. Listen to your iPod, play a Gameboy or just sit there and look stupid. Most pilots I know are very capable, so you're in good hands. You're much more likely to die drafting a truck on the highway. :Poke:

7. Mats Karlsson

Mats Karlsson Well-Known Member

Jeff,

I find it odd that you are scared of flying, racing is probably 100 times more dangerous than commercial flying. Also, airliners do not "fall out of the sky" if they lose one or all engines, 90% of airline crashes occur on landing and take-off not at 30,000 feet. I've been a pilot since 1986 and have experienced a couple of engine failures, no big deal. Don't listen to all the " Nervous Nellie’s" out there. Go to your local
    General Aviation Airport and sign up for a "Discovery Flight".
    http://www.beapilot.com/indexfl.html

8. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Flying is no big deal if you look at it like this: The two (or three) people at the front of the aluminum tube you're hurtling through the atmosphere six miles up are just as interested in surviving as you (usually, er yeah..). Moreover, should the airplane fall out of the sky, you have the best chance of survival if you're seated slightly behind the wing root. This is because fuel splashes forward AND it's also the most structurally sound part of the entire airplane. Oh, and sit in the exit row too as you might need to get out fast.

Hope that information helps. :)

9. Mats Karlsson

There you go Jeff, expert advice in airline travel. Make sure you tell your travel agent and/or airline to be seated "slightly
    behind the wing root and sit in the exit row too as you might need to get out fast". :D

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  10. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Damn skippy! Everyone, on both sides of the family, flies jets. Well, all but the uncle that flies Dash-8's ... so ya, pilot humor RULES!

11. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

I'm with Vicki on this one...Ativan rocks when you have a fear of flying. I actually have dreams that I've gotten on a plane without my drugs, and that becomes a nightmare real fast. :D

If you want to get places, you're going to have to get on a plane. Call your doctor and get some Xanax...or if that isn't strong enough (didn't work for me)...Ativan is great. I won't fly without it!

12. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

But I think Lever's problem is more about getting into airplanes. :)

13. Mats Karlsson

Damn skippy! Everyone, on both sides of the family, flies jets. Well, all but the uncle that flies Dash-8's ... so ya, pilot humor RULES!

:beer:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  14. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

What's the difference between a pilot and a jet engine?

The jet engine stops whining when it gets to the gate.

:D

15. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Don't sweat it Jeff, no matter what problems an aircraft should encounter they always manage to make it all the way to the scene of the crash. :D