1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports drinks

Discussion in 'General' started by Silo Pete, Aug 1, 2005.

1. NewRacer

NewRacer Tina! Come get some ham!

Get a gold card at GNC and it goes on sale in the powder form...

2. NewRacer

NewRacer Tina! Come get some ham!

Accelerade is another good one to alternate with water and maybe some Gatorade

3. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Not a racer, but at the track days i attend, sometimes the two day ones I drink Red Bull for the charge, No cokes, and then water and Gatorade typically. Keeps me Hydrated, now I just need to get into shape to keep my energy levels up all weekend.

4. rob748

rob748 Well-Known Member

drinks

my friend that rides/reps mountain bike items and rides alot uses different products but some you have to watch out for because they will upset the system down below and some are a last resort booster to get you the last 10 miles home, l try not to use caffeine, only as a last resort and redbull is reserved for the last 1 hour of a long 12 hour drive in the night.
    l will email him to find out what he surgests

Pete if your mangina is hurting again, that is another matter and l can't help you with that :D

5. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

For staying hydrated, I prefer cool water and alternate with gatorade powder.

Back in the day, racing MTN bikes, I would hit a GU or other paste energy packet. They would really help with a quick burst of energy.

6. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

I do warm water.

Easy to store. No one else wants it, so people seem to leave it around.

In basic training, guys would be like, "Uh, I hate this water." So, I'd drink their quarts and keep mine. When they crash because of heat issues, well, that's their stupidity of not drinking.

Water is easy to get into the system. You're made of it. But you need to be up on it before an event. Caffeein seems to be a boost. I'll do sugar free Red Bull's.

7. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

2parts water to 1part gatorade is an good mix to keep electrolytes and potassium replenished in the body. mix it up, it tastes pretty good when you're thirsty.

8. Sunny

Sunny Banned

I bought 4 boxes of them in NY after trying them out in a Korean Restaurant. :D They are expensive though......... :(

slaw0002, you forgot to mention the 1 liter Asahi!!!!!!!! :D

9. ZX-7RR

ZX-7RR GSXR Killer

expensive???? that shit is the cheapest in korea.:beer:

10. JoeTassone

JoeTassone The Dude abides...

Same here. Pull the gallon jug of water out of the cooler in the morning and keep it around me all day. It's cheap and nobody else bothers the jug that's been out of the cooler all day.

11. fullweed

fullweed gunnin for skillets

PowerAde!!!!!!!!:up:

12. Sunny

Sunny Banned

They are "IMPORTED" beer here in US, you know............ :( About the same price as Heinkes if I remembered correctly.

13. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

Based on personal experience

I use Accelerade and Endurox while cycling. I'll drink one bottle of accelerade to every two bottles of water while riding. Post ride I'll drink a bottle of Endurox and at least one more bottle of water. During a ride I'll also take in a Clif shot every 45min-1hr to keep my energy level up.

If you are dependent on caffiene and get headaches without it you can do what some of my racer friends do. Open a can/bottle of coke and let it go flat. That way you'll get the benefits of the simple sugars and caffiene without the carbonation problems.

You'll also want to start hydrating two days before the race weekend. It took two heat exhaustion episodes for me to figure all this out. :rolleyes:

14. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

You should be drinking any water to elecrotyte supplement (Gatorade, Propel, etc) at a ratio of 2/1. In addition, it's important to know that caffiene and processed sugar are inflammatory on all of the body's functions, and this is a bad thing. Stay away from fluids (and foods) containing them. The worst offending sugar is high fructose corn syrup.

Believe it or not, the studies are right, and alcoholic beverages in moderation are benificial. This means that a beer or two after the day is through is actually good for you. :up:

15. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

Back in my ultra runnin days most of the aid stations would stock Gatorade and water. I also would drink a flat coke every 10 miles or so. The carbonation made me feel bloated.