1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kangaroo leather suit recommendations wanted!

Discussion in 'General' started by Sean Jordan, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

I'm looking for recommendations on leathers made from Kangaroo.

Who is making kangaroo suits? Are they readily available? Who sells them? What prices?

Also, if anyone can answer the aforementioned questions, do you wear or have you worn any of those suits? Comments? Opinions?

Thanks!

2. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

MotoGP Leathers. Haven't tried on a set, but at about $800 they look pretty damn good.

3. Chip

Chip Registered

4. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

MotoGPs are great and a value at under $800. They also make a cowhide suit for a few $$ less. I have seen a few crashed, and repairs are minimal. The only thing I wouldwant to see changed is for them to make the liner removable. Other than that...:up:

5. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I always recommend Chip or Darrin but another option is Lithium Motorsports. I believe they carry the MotoGP suits.

712-546-7747 Ask for Rob.

It's time for me to look for a new suit also.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

MotoGP at half the price of the Teknics.

What do you want 'roo for? Yeah, a lot lighter than Moo but there are some great suits out there on the cheap that are as good as any hoppity ones.

7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Any Tucker-Rocky dealer can get MotoGP leathers.

8. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

I've always liked the feel of the Held/Teknik kangaroo hide gloves. I am selling my leathers back to the original owner, and get some with my name on them.

Oh, speaking of Kangaroos, Dave - can you reset my username back to Sean? Thanks!

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'll take care of it in a little bit.

Check out RS Taichi. I've got an extra set at the house if you want to eye ball 'em.

10. Spyderchick

RS Taichi are a rockin' set of leathers as well. They are a tad heavier thaan the 'roo MotoGPs, and bit more pricey. However, they're easy to repair and hold up well in a crash. Right now RS Taichi are my #1 off the rack pick, with MotoGP being my #1 value pick. (they're running a close second to the RS Taichi.)

Hope all of this helps!

11. lilbuj

lilbuj Well-Known Member

Vanson

How would you rate a Vanson suit in regards to the RS Taichi or MotoGP?

12. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Vanson used to be damn decent stuff. I don't know if that has changed or not, but I really like my MTM suit and may be using it again sooner than I originally thought.

13. The liner in my Moto gp leathers is removable. I have the cowhide ones, but I dont think it should be any different.

14. Spyderchick

Vanson makes a top notch product. Of course if you were to purchase one of their suits, I'd go custom, but their off the rack suits are of the same quality. They are built like iron and crash really well, but if you live in a warm climate and you aren't very good in the heat, sometimes even their fully perfed suits can be kind of opressive to wear. I'm not a fan of their back protector, (included in all of their suits), and I recommend getting an aftermarket version to replace theirs.

15. mark600

mark600 Well-Known Member

Crash tested my MotoGP leathers at little-T a few weeks ago. Low sided in what I call T6 leading onto the back straight. Rear wheel spin washout. Slid a good distance down the straight. Very little damage to the leathers. No damage to me. Keprotec panels are the only possible weak point IMHO. I had one small tear in one of those panels on the inside right leg. Since this is the leg the bike landed on, I don't think it is a real point of vulnerability.

The fit is great and compared to my Kobe suit, it feel like your wearing a t-shirt. Really light and supple. Repair may be a problem if I really damage the leather. I have been told by several sources that kangaroo leather for repair is hard to come by. Price was right at $800.
    :cool:

16. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Yep, in fairness, I should mention that my suit is fairly heavy compared to all of my previous ones (Fox, Lou's Leathers) but WELL worth every penny spent (about $1400 in 1993 dollars) for the custom fit.

17. BrakinDeep

BrakinDeep Member

I purchased MotoGP 'roo suit and is very light compared to my old Dainese suit (feels like almost half the weight). My complaints about the MotoGP suit:

upper body (shoulders and lat area) is a little too loose without back protector. Just purchased one so it should be a bit better.
    Legs and arms are a little loose

in comparison my Dainese suit fit like a glove everywhere (with and without back protector). very snug yet I was very manuverable in it. I am an 5'9" with 165+lbs slender build.

Both the Dainese and MotoGP suit were the same size (42). I've actually gained weight (little muscle, more fat :D ) since my dainese suit yet the MotoGP is still loose. In any case, the MotoGP suit is great.

My next suit (when money permits) will be a custom suit from
    http://www.njkleathers.com/ <-- most likely from here
    or
    http://www.zcustom.com

These are moo suits so a bit heavier but perfect fit and easily repairable (fast turn around too). The MotoGP suit is good and price is right too. Just try them on before buying (I didn't have that luxury but don't really regret it)

18. s4iscool

s4iscool Well-Known Member

flatout in indy had a low group buy on the motogp, check with slava