1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Me Likey TL

Discussion in 'General' started by (diet)DrThunder, Jul 19, 2005.

1. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Thanks for the input. Ya, even though I only rode it the one day, I really feel like it would be a fun race bike. Plus, even though the Mille is 'cooler' the parts availability thing might get annoying (I hear stories that are scary).

2. Fabri-Tech Designs

Fabri-Tech Designs Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Absolutely.......:beer:

3. Jason Coleman

Jason Coleman Well-Known Member

Stick, ask Dave how ihe is feeling today. :p

Dave, I am glad you had a good time.

Jimmy V, give me a call.

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Did the big twin leave you hurtin' Dave?

5. (diet)DrThunder

Who me? Hurting?

Yes.

:)

My quads are killing me and my shoulders are stiff...in a good way though. Into the gym with me!

6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Sorry, while I read that all I could see was Tommy Boy walking past the chick at the pool asking where the gym was.

7. (diet)DrThunder

Ya I would be really interested to see which one I liked better, but I don't see an RC51 ride coming my way in the near future...

8. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

You can get a TL down to about 420lbs and it's a great ride. It will take you some time to get that fucker dialed in though. Once you do, it's a friggin blast. I miss mine. And yes, a lot of GSXR parts migrate to the 'pig'. I think I got mine down to 420lbs (wet) with a whopping 129hp. It will spit you off like so many ticks on a dogs ass if you're not careful.:up:

9. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

I bet the TL feels more powerful compared to that ysr you're racing in your avatar!!!

10. (diet)DrThunder

I can afford to have you killed, just so you know.

:)

11. (diet)DrThunder

I bet that was a fun bike. I doubt you can get it that light and still have it be in SS trim, but since you can race it in so many classes (ASB, BSB, HWTSB) as a SB, maybe that's ok.

Do the motors stay relaible if you have them "built?" I've been told that 140hp is a set of pistons, a set of cams and a valve job away. Is this bullshit?

12. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

At 420lbs, it was still in SS trim. Trim some more weight for the Marchesini wheels, (Which I still have for sale) cut subframe, cut rotors, and a little creative dremel/grinding work. I've seen them at 409lbs (wet)

The motor is bullet proof. Steer clear of power commanders and get the yosh box for tuning. I haven't met anyone that hasn't had a problem with the PC's. 140hp is do-able, but after 125-ish you will get into some $$$. Average is $100 - $175 per horse.

13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Hey Buck, I've got Storyteller's TLR, any memories of it :)

Buck's on the money with this. The most unfortunate thing, if you really wanted to talk to the master of the TLR engine has left us (Godspeed Chris Junge)... I spent about 45 minutes with him at VIR last year and it was amazing what he had to say...
    Basicly you can get about 129-132H.P out simple mods to the TL. When you get into the 140+ range is where you start getting into reliability issues and so on.

I have the Power Commander and it does OK. Never had any issues, but have spent little time with a map for it. Parts are still available and there are several manufacturers who still make some kit stuff. If you have the money, it's a good investment if you are looking to move up. The HWT class has about 1/4 of the riders that the 4 bangers do.

After changing the settings with the forks and the Penske, it really came alive for me. It's a monster on the brakes and you can believe the torque will help you out as well.

14. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I'll do it for $100 :D

15. (diet)DrThunder

Thanks guys. Really I was just curious re: the motor stuff. Even if I were to decide to race one at some point, it's exceedingly unlikely I'd go the Big Motor route. Hell, I can't even ride a 400 to its potential...what the hell would I do with 140hp?

I am interested in what you did to get it to 420lbs Buck. Was it just a general gareful going-through?

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dave, I could see you riding a TLR. Fantastic bike once you get the rear suspension to where it needs to be.
    The rotary rear shock is what I think held this bike back from being the best Japanese twin built to date (which I still think it is).

17. Hyperdyne

Dave's right... The biggest drawback as well as the most expensive. The linkage and skock combo to replace it ranges from $1300 to $1800 depending on where you go. Ohlins, Penske, and Hyperpro all make shocks, but I think L.E. is the only one who made the linkages, and they have since quit. I thought about taking mine off and having copies made in case of a probem.

18. (diet)DrThunder

Can the shock be replaced w/o the LE linkage? I see lots of TLs with aftermarket shocks...do some of them just use the stock mount points?

I've never seen the LE link v/ the stock setup, so I don't know what I'm looking at when I see a TL. Jason's has an Ohlins shock on it, but I'm clueless about the link. I can say that my novice ass was fine re: the rear suspension action on his bike.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  19. (diet)DrThunder

Don't you have a diaper to change or something?

:D

20. Hyperdyne

No as far as Penske and Ohlins, they all have to have the links because of the way the rotary damper had an offset mount. Now with the links you could presumably mount up whichever type you wanted (ohlins, Penske, Elka) as long as it was the correct size.

I have yet to shag a rear tire other than the front, but that's simply my riding style.