1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do middle of the pack pro racers make?$?

Discussion in 'General' started by jigmoore, Jun 6, 2005.

1. backdraftmoto

backdraftmoto I make Nissan trucks...

The last time I talked to a support rider, at the time for a Suzuki team, he was making between $35k and $45k. I didn't get an exact number, and he didn't give it. Only bonuses were for winning races or a championship.

Some riders get a higher salary, but pay to get themselves everywhere. Some get a lower salary but have someone to pay their way to every race or promo set-up. Deals are different from team to tteam and rider to rider.

2. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Not any more. Tom Mason bought old yeller.

You can see the new rig here. Not too shabby.

Kneedraggers racing pictures

3. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

That's a fine looking race rig, but pretty small by AMA standards. Critter has an awesome looking Geico rig.

4. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

I overheard someone saying at Tally some time back that Jensen cleared $60k after all expenses paid last year.

5. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

He ain't got nothing on Karen Stoffer's Geico rig!
    I saw her rig on the way home from Road America:

http://www.prostockbike.com/aboutjonco.htm

6. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

All that for a bike that won't even turn a corner.........:rolleyes:
    They could get-by with a 3 yr old van, 16 footer and a ez-up... :p

7. Reborn

Reborn Well-Known Member

Re: Re: what do middle of the pack pro racers make?$?

I'd assume he also makes a few dollars from the star racing schools.

8. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

I don't think there are many privateers anymore who don't hold a job doing something else anymore.

Many tend to own their own business, like a perf. shop or something.

9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

what about all the years paying his dues though, the early years were very expensive with little winnings. This could be a breakthrough year for Rob... The new rig sure is nice and he deserves it, but it ain't paid for yet.
    The money that would have to be laid out to get to the level that you actually have a reasonable profit at years end appears to be tremendous. Making it as a pro racer traveling the country is a tough way to go. My hats off to the guys that give it a try.

10. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

I made $ 1250 in contingency one year:D (then later audited by the IRS)

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

$100k isn't all THAT much in the grand scheme of life, the universe and everything.

There are one or two AMA riders making 7 figures. Not as many as you'd think.

Truth is, the riders in the AMA series get paid better than most of the WSK grid and many of the MotoGP guys.

In MotoGP there are probably 5 making over a Mil a year. A lot of the riders make less than what a Zemke or a DuHamel make. Less than what AMA Hayden makes really.

The above is top riders in the circus.

Mid pack, support rider? $50k to $150k depending on what they did last year and who they ride for. Some get a big Zero.

Oh to consider in the equation of what a rider makes you'll need to factor in manager fess (10 to 15 percent), insurance (health and disability, this isn't cheap) and whether some of their earnings go back to the team.

12. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Normaly I would agree but it is a lot of cash when you consider it was just from winning races. Making that kind of money by chasing Yamaha money at club events is pretty impressive.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

True, but when you figure the average tech nerd can pull that change down and the worst thing that can happen to them is their starbucks is too hot or they get a paper cut it isn't.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Dave K, king of the W.A.G.
    You deserve a paid AMA Soup internship.
    :D :D :D

15. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

Its gotta be even easier this year with Suzuki's winning payout. I think J. Wood's already over 30k after only 3 Suzuki weekends and two more this month coming up.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Papa, I'm dumb as a hammer right now (I watched a 911 burn up in A-ton today). What's W.A.G.? :D

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's working 5 days a weeks, though. And much less fun.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wild Ass Guess. :D

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Not so much a guess but paying attention to what I read, hear and make up. :D

20. Strick

Strick Good to be king

:stupid: