Ben Bostrom on the AMA and Lappers

Discussion in 'General' started by TSC_113, Jun 3, 2005.

?

Pay the lapped riders not to race?

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    55.4%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    44.6%
  1. Streetman

Streetman Well-Known Member

2. melanie

melanie not a dude

Streetman, you forgot to reply to your quote. Does that mean you REALLY suck at the internet? ;)

3. Streetman

No, the attachments suck. I'm smrt. See:

[​IMG]

4. Streetman

FUUUUUUUUUUCK! You're right. I do suck at the internets.

5. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Well, if you actually read what he wrote, yo'd see that he does, in fact, appreciate that very thing. He simply thinks that the slower of those people shouldn't be racing in the premier professional race in class in the country.

I'm without the best equipment, and I've got limited track time, and I dont' have the $$ of a factory...maybe I should race Superbike. Hell, I'll buy my wife a bike, and she can race in it too! Of course, I'll need to brief her on which lever does what, but what the hell!

I've defended you here several times, but on this subject you just sound like you're whining because the racer Ben says sucks so badly that he shouldn't be on the track happens to be you.

Like I've said before, if you want to ride around and collect the money that is absolutely your right, and I defend it. It's stupid and lame that the AMA creates the situation for you to do it in, but that doesn't mean you don't have the right to do it. However, when you get called out on it don't whine...suck it up. In the world of AMA Superbike racing, you suck.

So do I...that's why I don't try to do it. I would be mortified if my suckitude wrecked an otherwise good race at the front of a Superbike field.

6. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

i'm not taking this personally, i don't see why you should.

i could care less what Ben has to say, he doesn't make the rules, he just complains about them.

if the AMA changes them in the future great, but i'm tired of hearing the factory babies whine about it and state how privateers are ruining racing.

7. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

privateer this

factory that... when the AMA simply has racers the problem will have been solved:D

8. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

exactly, get rid of the factories.

the simple fact that there is a bonus award for first privateer and rules for who can practice when and such shows that there are two different races going on.

9. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

Don't get rid of the factories... just the factory teams...spread the wealth and look at my earlier post where I show how this will also help USA presence in WSBK

10. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

thats what i meant by get rid of the factories--no more factory direct teams

11. Streetman

I reposted that so everyone who missed THE SOLUTION can reread it. Nail...head.

Now, one problem. The factories are the ones who run the AMA, and the politics involved are such that they all fight to get the rules changed each year to benefit THEIR factory, not the AMA, or the sport. Until that happens, we'll see the same shit, year after year. You can't polish a turd.

I'd go watch a new league. xsr71x Roadracing?

12. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

The other key is to get some outside of the industry professionals in the AMA board sowhen Honda says.. we're gonna pull out CEO so and so says fine I'll get my buddy such and such and so and so to pick up your weight..

13. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

Oh and you're getting better at the internet:D

14. Oddo

Oddo Well-Known Member

Maybe he was talking about guys who fail to qualify, are allowed a provisional entry, then once in the race they turn laptimes 2-4 seconds slower than they did in qualifying?

15. Oddo

Oddo Well-Known Member

But what about the guys who have excellent equipment (i.e. 135hp 600), show up at a club racing event, and get passed by yellow plates?
    I seem to remember you spouting this whine about your slowness at Daytona: "8 total days of track time and the man expects me to light the world on fire."

16. Oddo

Oddo Well-Known Member

Just how much do you contribute to paying AMA's bills?
    Someone please compare the amount of money web pays in entry fees versus the price of a spectator ticket. I remember paying $55 for the Road Atlanta 1999 AMA races. If I had to guess I'd say that 3 spectators sitting on their ass equals one webcrush. I seriously doubt that the AMA would lose any money at all if they tightened the qualifying for each class to 110%.
    In fact - if FX had been 110% last year at VIR, then only 2 additional racers would have not qualified - including Web and R6Philly (who didn't qualify anyway even at 112%)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  17. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Oddo-Post some funny pictures or shut the hell up. This is getting old.

18. Oddo

Oddo Well-Known Member

Done.

Captions?

[​IMG]

19. r6_philly

r6_philly Well-Known Member

since Oddo mentioned my name.

I agree with Ben. I agreed with him 100% when he told me this exact idea last year at VIR, and I am glad he finally had the chance to tell someone who print it for the world to see.

If there was no use of qualifying tires, Web and I would have made 112% at VIR. If there were no factory teams, it would have been easier. I had my problems with that qualifying, and I am ok with the fact that I didn't qualify. I got gridded, cool. If not just as cool.

I did make the 112% at daytona, but didn't make the max. grid. Fine, just need to go faster in the future.

It would be very nice to have a privateer only class. If counting the first non-factory time at daytona this year, I was within 110% (of Barnes)

If there was a privateer only class, I will enter that class. I am working hard on learning how to ride lol so getting out of the back is my top priority. Some of you don't agree that I started entering AMA before I could run mid-pack, but someone has to run in the back in any race, and it's just a personal choice of where I choose to start pursuing it.

Getting paid is nice. Ben's idea is great, getting paid for entering and trying, and only race when you are fast enough that weekend. I like it.

20. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Guys, look, why don't you take a while to reflect on what you're doing. Earn you bones. Race your butts off at the club level, and hone your skills. When you're qualified to race at a professional level based upon your skill, not whether or not you can make the minimum requirements, then go AMA racing. I think we'd all support both of you if you took that approach, rather than being in the way just because the rules say you can be there. Just look around, there are lots of club guys who have earned their way to the AMA because they've demonstrated that they are fast, and at least have a chance to produce a decent finish. And for the most part everyone supports them. No matter how many ways you want to explain and attempt to justify it, you aren't racing.

Dafan, if I'm not wrong, you've been road racing about 2 or 3 years? And half of that has been trying to recover mentally from a bad crash at Summit? Do you really think you should make the AMA your learning ground, and that is the best place to overcome your issues and learn to go fast again?

Again, not bashing, just trying to talk some sense into you guys.