1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greenville, SC

Discussion in 'General' started by GStar, Mar 31, 2005.

1. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

Who lives/has been there? How do you like the area/State? Is there room for another wanna be racer?

GStar

2. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

I'm gussing Road Atlanta and Carolina Motosportpark will be my new home tracks (goodbye Grattan and Gingerman :( ) What other tracks are within 4 hours or so?

3. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I grew up there and would move back if I got the opportunity. I live in the Metro Atlanta area now (Woodstock).

4. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

I have been presented the opportunity, in a round-about way, to move back to Upstate SC (Green Vegas) and I'm very seriously, seriously considering it.

-HJK

5. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

Green Vegas? any particular reason you call it that?

Anyway, my gf refuses to come (calling it a hick town, which to her is everything south of the PA border), however I've pretty much had it with Northern winters. Seems like a good place to be for a motorcycle fanatic like myself, and the idea of reaching Myrtle Beach w/in 4 hours is very enticing. Unfortunately there is more to life than motorcycles and beaches (or is there?), so I’m trying to get a better feel for what the city is like. Are you guys fond of it b/c you grew up there?

6. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

1. Your gf is right

2. I'm with you re: Northern winters...sucko for sure. That's why I moved.

3. No, there isn't more to life than motorcycles and beaches, as far as I can tell.

4. WTF is wrong with a hick town?

:)

7. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

1. PA probably has more mobile homes than SC
    2. Greenville is not hick. There is a very cool metro downtown area your g/f would dig.
    3. There is a lot of industry moving in.
    4. 4 seasons w/ mild winters
    5. Convenient to many SE region tracks
    6. Mountains- 1 hrs. Beaches about 4 hrs.

oh, and Greenville probably has the worst drivers I've ever seen.

8. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

Because it's funny, and because compared to the surrounding counties, Greenville is the 'Bright lights, big city'-est place to be. :D

Greenville is not a hick town in most any sense of the phrase. It has everything any other city of 90,000+ has. Sports arena, vibrant downtown, airports... everything. Greenville Co. schools are about the best bet going in the Upstate, and you're dead smack in between the two hubs of "The New South", Charlotte (America's banking capital) and Atlanta (America's soft drink capital :D ).

You're about 3.5 - 4.5 hours from Myrtle and/or Wilmington, N.C., less than 45 minutes from some of the nicest mountain country in the nation (tons of lakes/rivers for fishing, rafting or boating), 2 or so hours from CMP, 2 or so from R. Atl., 4-ish from Tally and Barber, 4-ish from VIR...

I did not grow up in SC, I grew up in MD. I went to grad school at Clemson and lived in Anderson for almost 2 years (about 35 - 45 minutes west/southwest of G'ville). Greenville has its share of problems (transportation planning was an after thought, apparently :rolleyes: , so traffic can get kind of bad on 85/285 at peak travel times), but the local gov't is committed to evolving the place from a 'railroad depot/textile mill farm' into a dynamic center of activity for the southeast. The growth potential for the I-85 corridor (really for its whole length but particularly between Charlotte and Atlanta) is seemingly limitless. Upstate SC will continue to grow and the quality of life will continue to improve there for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, I gotta get back to that job thing-y I was working on up there...

-HJK

9. gixxerjosh

gixxerjosh Captain America's Flunky

Bring it on!! Let me know if you come visit to check it out! I have a promotional company and can take you to all the good bars!

I am also going to be putting together a bike night for the street squids. I will be raffling things off for charity! Should be a good time!

10. gixxerjosh

Tell your girlfriend SHE IS WRONG!!!

I am from Huntington Beach California and I love it here...No HICKS in Greenville.. Maybe on the outskirts but not Greenville. I highly recommend at least visiting G-Vegas once!!! Let me know when you do and my girlfriend and I will take you and your girl around town and show you the nightlife. If your girlfriend doesn't come dont worry My Girlfriend is a Playboy bunny and I am more than sure we can find you a hott, cool girl! ;) J/K

11. gixxerjosh

Dude move back!! I have established myself here now!! Come on Howie!!:beer:

12. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

I graduated GHS in '86.Clean tap water (spoiled me),clean air,everything is within a stone's throw ,for the most part.But,don't be a habitual speeder there.Cops are using unmarked/incognito cars & are allowed to hide.Guess you can tell I have a colorful driving "career".Plus,there is the best paintball field in the southeast there ;) .

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Do It!!

I'm about a hour from Greenville. I have not checked ot the night life, but I love it down here.Screw those Northern winters.Little slower pace, but nice:beer:

14. gixxer759

gixxer759 EXPERT #55

Greenville is the best they have to offer in SC. I'm from there and if I could make as much money there as I can in Atl., I would consider moving back. (West Greenville not included):beer:

15. FATDUMBNHAPPY

FATDUMBNHAPPY Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat. I have a really good job offer in the Clemson area and are thinking about moving. The PA winters, roads, people in the winter time (hell for the most part a lot of the people here), the fast pace, the smog, etc... SUCK!!!!!

My wife says the same thing about the people and the area are in the hicks. Before we moved to PA we lived in Charleston SC and that wasnt as hicky. :)

My problem is trying to make my mind up yesterday as the company wanted me to start all ready.

Good luck to you and your choice

16. ClemsonJeeper

ClemsonJeeper Member

Stay away from Easley. That's where I was trapped for 12 years of my life.

Actually grew up in Easley from 6th grade on, then went to Clemson. (Parents still live in Easley)

Either way, had a bunch of friends who lived/went to school in Greenville and on weekends, Greenville was THE place to go... its actually not too bad now - has a good night life from what I've heard, but I'm spoiled now that I live in Northern VA (DC Metro area).

It's a great place to raise kids, etc, so long as their blood runneth orange. :) I personally wouldn't be caught dead there, but then again I enjoy the big city life.

I'm big into whitewater kayaking and I was very spoiled by having the Chatooga river (one of the best and most beautiful rivers to play in some whitewater in the southeast) so close.

17. macdaddy

macdaddy PRAISE "BOB"

Just don't forget that basically it's socially retarded
    were a "family values state " ya know!
    so as long as ya got a jesus fish AND a n.r.a. sticker yer OK

18. ClemsonJeeper

ClemsonJeeper Member

Haha. Oh yes, I forgot about the religious hypocracy there.

There is a new church in Easley that is almost as big as the old Greenville Stadium was (before the tore it down back in the late 90s).

I love seeing the giant billboards that say "If you don't believe in Jesus you are going to hell."

19. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Moved here from L.I. New York in '79. If you like to street ride there are some awesome roads in this area. I could never move back up North.

Come on down. Greenville has a lot of good things to offer, good drivers is not one of them however.

20. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

I appreciate the input, I'm flying in tommorow and will be staying thru sunday. Prolly end up down town friday night (sat too ;) ). If any of ya'all :D will be heading out put a post up on this thread, it'd be cool to meet up and share a beer.

GSTAR