1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A good bike

Discussion in 'General' started by racer034life, Feb 20, 2005.

1. racer034life

racer034life Well-Known Member

I have been riding for around 6 months and I havent really been on another on for about a year now. But i think I can still get the hang of riding again. So anyways Im looking at either a Rc51 or a bike to start riding again. I have been told because of my size that i would do good on a bigger bike. But i have also been told that i should just go back to a 600 and learm some more. What should i do. Or should i just learn more on the Rc51 and hope not to drop the bike.

2. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Need more info before we can answer...

How big are you? What type of riding will you be doing? Street commuting? Sunday backroads blasting? Any track duty?

If you're just street riding then any of the new 600's will have more than enough power. Some are geared more towards street comfort (i.e. Honda) while others are more track oriented (Suzuki).

It all depends on your intended use and riding style.

3. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

I see Tom's back:D Ya hippie!

4. Mojo

Mojo Big Swinging Member

You must be behind him then. :rolleyes:

5. racer034life

This will be for sunday rides and maybe going to mid-ohio every now and then. Also im 6'4 and 250. I have been on a 600 but it just feels small thats all.

6. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

If you're new to riding and want a bigger bike then the RC51 sounds like a good fit. Big enough that you won't feel like a monkey humping a football ;) but tame enough that you won't get yourself in as much trouble as you would on an R1 or ZX-10.

Get what feels comfortable to you and make sure it's affordable so you have money left over to buy good riding gear if you don't already have it.

Most importantly ride at your own pace and don't let anyone else pressure you. Find a sensible group to ride with where people aren't riding over their heads to keep up, endangering themselves and others.

Good luck and let us know what bike you end up with! :up:

7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Make sure your Sunday ride takes a route that allows for many spots to wait for others. It keeps them from feeling like they have to ride fast to keep up, and gives you a chance to notice if someone isn't there.

I had a group that wanted me and a friend of mine to ride with them. My friends rad. cap came loose so he stopped. At the end of the road I asked where he was and a guy said he stopped. The guy didn't care to check on him. I went back and helped him get to the cap adn then we rode back, and they were all gone.

A year or so later they lost a guy, really lost a guy. He was found the next day in a ditch.

I don't ride on the street now.

Sorry, RC 51's are fun, hard to fight around, but fun

8. racer034life

yea I wouuld ride with a few friends of mine that I know. also is the rc that big of a bike i have been up on one in person it didnt seem that big. also how is the throttle response

9. stickboy274

This guy was good friends with most all of the guys that left him behind.

The Rc doesn't transition well. It is fun though, and they can be had cheap these days. I think the third year of them is where to start looking. The second or third year they extended the swingarm and it hepled the handling.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Correct. But it won't matter on the street. I only got in trouble with my 00 when it became a race bike.

11. racer034life

Ok i dont really think im ready to race a 1000cc bike i know i can drive one.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

RC will make a fine street bike. But don't plan on taking your significant other with you. Passenger "seat" is a hardened maxipad.

and if you move to MN, it'll do 205 mph. :D

13. racer034life

Thats good cause i really dont want me girl to me on the bike.
    Also Jeff Gordon won the 500 today man thats sweet i cant want to see the AMA race at daytona

14. CUDA

CUDA Well-Known Member

Think Mille. Faster and MUCH easier to ride than an RC and not really any more money used. New is another story, but used it is about the same for a Mille R and a stock RC. Ask me how I know. :)

15. stickboy274

The mille is one of the best off the showroom floor bikes I have ever ridden.

Well worth the money

16. racer034life

How do you know this

17. Charles Johnson

Charles Johnson Well-Known Member

I bought a 2000 Aprilia Mille R , perfect cond. 5000 miles
    $7600 off the WERA classified. I think I can put 10,000 miles on it and sell it for close to that. Its a good street bike for sure.

18. CUDA

CUDA Well-Known Member

I am selling my 00 Mille R that I won last years novice HWTSS and HTWSB national titles on, so I know how much you can get one for. :) As far as faster, well that is sort of common knowledge that the Mille is a better racebike anywhere near stock, but the rider is a big part of speed of course. I can say that I podiumed in several open class races and never finished behind a 2 cylinder bike (while on the Mille, the Duc was a different story) in any race all year. Plus my racing buddy owned an RC and ran the same class last year, so I have a good feel for them. Too many guys buy RC's because they make a good superbike ($250k later) but all the reviews will put the Mille way ahead of it. Especially in the one class that category that counts the most to an AM, easy to ride.

19. racer034life

See me only having like 6 months a riding under my belt i am not really trying to speed alot of money on thie bike like 6k is my limit just cause if i drop it i dont want to have to pay twice for parts. also how much are parts for a mille Vs the Rc51

20. racer034life

WIll guys i think im going with a sv650 or a 90 hawk gt with a vfr 18' wheel.....Let me know if anyone has one for sale some what cheap