1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone racing a Triumph in WERA? B superbike/ss? other?

Discussion in 'General' started by Schump, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Limey

Limey Well-Known Member

Yeah, there were actually two 955i running in CORC. My pal william hendrix #939 was on one of them. He has done some pretty cool stuff, including donnie unger making a single underseat exhaust. He likes to run it because he likes to have something a little different, but he has put quite a lot of $$ into it.
    Im pretty sure that the other heavily modd'd truimph won the Senior Superbike, but it hardly even looks like a truimph with all the mods.

Cheers

2. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

I ran a '95 Triumph 900 III in CCS HW Sportsman in '97 to a regional title, but it was a real hoss...59"wb, 490lbs dry. It was competitive at Road A, Summit & Daytona where it could stretch its 120 rwhp legs, and it was fun running against Buells, Duc 900SS & 748(legal the first yr), Hawks, etc, but after I hopped back on a 290 lb single I never raced it again. :D

I do occasionally think about dusting it off for V7HW, but it wouldn't be competitive against 916s, GSXRs, etc. I am putting together a '97 Speed III for a trackday bike, but I do plan to try running it once next yr w/carbs in CCS Ultra LW S-bike just to see if would be any more competitive there than my Clubman bike. With a little work, I would expect to get the weight on the T509 close to 450# dry, as my '95 has a more massive frame and still hauls around a lot of street gear at 490#.

BTW, Jimmy Clark's 955 resides in a Japanese sportbike chassis (Suz?), and he took 3rd at Summit in Senior Superbike this past weekend, but I still haven't figured out a way to run one of these bikes competitively in WERA yet...maybe CCS.

3. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

I spent about 2 hours looking at that bike Sunday morning at Summit. About the only Triumph parts on it are the engine cases and the motor mounts. Everything else from the triples to the heavily modded R1 swingarm are custom fabbed.
    The guy who built the bike, Dave LaMerrill, has done a HUGE amount of work and R&D on the motor. Custom ignition, carbs instead of FI, pistons, true ram air airbox, cooling system, Ohlins forks, self made carbon bodywork (including a self supporting tailsection) etc,etc.
    Very cool, indeed .
    Cheers, Lee S.

4. clutchNthrottle

clutchNthrottle Fish and Chips Burner

Land barge? :confused: Yeah, you'll find those in isle 6, right next to the flying barns and square tYres... :rolleyes: If you're gonna use analogies try to make them semi-intelligible. Now go blow a fag you wanker!!! :D :p

5. Wade Parish

Wade Parish North Central Hawker

Wow. That's the latest come-back I've ever seen.

6. fat bloke

fat bloke Well-Known Member

just do it........

[​IMG]

7. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Too heavy,too slow,too expensive

8. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

so bloke, what havent you raced?

jeez dude, i think you have had one of just about everything

9. fat bloke

well ive been doin it along time and i like to race two or three classes a year so i tended to get about alot, i like one make series alot with control tires and i like classes with oddball stuff in it like BOTT and sound of thunder.......

and i used to run a business around racing and track days so i probly had more chances at stuff than most and im thankfull for it too!

10. Brian129

lucky SOB :( :mad:

11. clutchNthrottle

sure for the B classes, :rolleyes: but in HWTSB the power and weight numbers are superior to that of SV/TL 1000's and on par with the 'priller, RC-51 and Ducatis. The current generation of 955 Daytona weigh about 480lbs in STREET trim and stockers will put 127-131hp to the rear wheel and 140+ with just a pipe and some time on the dyno adjusting the mapping. As for being too expensive, 2nd hand Triumphs are about the same price, if not CHEAPER than the other bikes listed here. As far as parts go, there's tons on ebay. Riders are crashing them all the time, but there's not a lot of racers/trackdayers that are fighting over the spoils and driving up the demand/price. I've seen frames go $200, complete engines for $400, set of rims with rotors $250...:beer:

12. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

I don't wanna start an arguement,but they (triumph) compare in no way to an Aprilia,TLR, Duc9/7 or RC 51.I've raced against all 6 in HWTSB,and the trumpets ain't got it in race form.True ,the TT6600 is a decent bike,but the triumphs are designed for the street.Sorta like racin a VFR.If you wanna put lots into them to get them to turn well,more power to ya.It will take more than a shock and race exhaust.

13. fat bloke

my daytona race bike had a WP shock re valved forks a full akro system some EBC rotors anda few other bits a pieces and it woz competative enough in BOTT and SOT a couple of times i put it out on the open supersport class and didnt make a fool of myself either (not thru my ridin anyway)

no it woznt fast, yes it weighed more than the others but it sounded great i loved ridin it and it woz pretty much the only one out there 99% of the time,

domt forget why your racing to start with, your racing coz you like ridin bikes and wot kind of bike you ride is up to, winning aint everything (and yes i have won so i do know) its all about havin fun and i had real good fun ridin me trumpet!

14. clutchNthrottle

well, Bruce Brown and John Fields have both put a 955 on the box ... so no, the Triumphs don't have the pedigree nor does the factory dedicate a comparable amount of time on R&D, BUT they ARE completive at the CLUB level, in the twins classes, with no more additional effort or cost, than would be expended on any of the other bikes in that class......:up:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  15. bigx1384

bigx1384 Banned

ol big bird has purty well run my 99 955i thru the wringer, and it has held up well but themz brit bits can be x-pensive,$155 for a valve cover gasket? ouch!!! it is a fun racebike and does handle well for what we do with it,,,,:clap:

16. john buchanan

john buchanan Active Member

I have used a tt600 for track-day bike for the last 2 years and had no problems,it is very stable platform with better than average handling and fantastic braking. The 955 is a great bike and would be a good bike for HWT.

17. J.C. #81

J.C. #81 Member

here is the mod 955 dave has it down to 355# good diet that i wish i could get my wife on LOL

18. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I was wondering when you were going to chime in on this thread. Dave's bike was the first one I thought of when I saw this.

I'd explain why your picture didn't post, but I suck at the internet.

We're gonna have to race 1000's this year in the old man's class...

Tom Hughey
    53 Ex. (56 Nov.)

19. Brian129

you both suck at the internet to be correct, but i will help

can attach in general, the pic needs to be hosted, then use the img button to copy and paste the url you get from the properties of the pic(right click)

http://imageshack.us/index3.php
    theres free pic hosting for ya

20. bigx1384

bigx1384 Banned

now i know,,,,,,:clap: