At what age would you get your kid a cell phone?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ex CCS Racer, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

As the title says.... just curious. My mom got my 9 1/2 y/o daughter a freakin' Nextel for X-mas!!:confused: It's on a family plan and didn't cost anything but I'm not too sure on this... I've got possession on it and not sure what to do. I've thought out the pro and cons but still not sure. In addition to my personal cell I've got a work Nextel for direct connect so it might be cool in a sense but I'm still kinda leary about his. Thoughts and opinions are welcome. Still not sure if I'm gonna hand it over to her or not.

2. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Good question. I would think the instant communication would be nice but the ageb is a little young. What are you worst fears or greatest concerns?

I see 10+ with them in this 'burb all the time.

David

3. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I see where you're coming from. On the one hand, it could be a priceless asset. Remember all of the normal emergency plans it would accentuate. Instead of having a quarter to make that emergency call, she can call directly without looking for a pay phone. Stranger invites her into a car? She has the police on the line before he's out of sight, with his registration number fresh in her mind. I think you can figure out other benefits of that nature.
    Yes, on the other hand, she could spend way too much time on the phone with her friends. At least your home line isn't getting tied up. (But maybe her friends' home lines are! :D ) Mine was until I got my own cell and tied up the land line with the modem! How many of her peers have phones? If nobody else, she won't really be on the phone that much, but you still have the emergency benefits.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  4. puresportsdesigns

puresportsdesigns Yea, I guess

the safety aspects are great. what kinda minutes plan do you have. Night and weekends are great, but peak time (after school) could eat you up if there is a bill with 6000 minutes!!!

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Check out Nextels site - you can limit a huge amount of what these phones will do even to the point of only calling 911 and clicking you or anyone in your group.

FWIW I think 9 yo is too damned young for their own phone....

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I don't have kids but seeing 9 year olds yapping away on a cell annoys the crap out of me. I've seen them younger.
    Who do they have to talk to? Friggin' amazing.

15 if they work to pay their own bill. If they don't than no cell phone.

What about a pre paid phone? No nasty surprises at the end of the month and they can stay in contact with who ever the heck they talk to.

7. FLASHER

FLASHER pinche'loco estupido

youngins w/ cell phones

my ten year old just got a used nextel phone,his mom got it for him.I too don't think these kids should have cell phones due to the fact that it also comes with a lot of responsibility!Sure the 911 calls,ease of contacting them and all but come on,how often are your children not where they're supposed to be?When I was growing up sure i wasn't were i said i was but back then we didn't have psycho child pedafiles either! I guess it's all about the "status" these days with children.I still don't agree,these children even @ the age of ten have way too much growing up to do to be responsible for a cell phone!! my .2 cents!

8. Shingle Monkey

Shingle Monkey Schuck, Schuck

Why would a 9 year old be without an adult..unless shes in the backyard playing?

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Ding ding ding! The post that says it best.

10. 418

418 Expert #59

When they start driving. IMHO.

11. Shawn A.

Shawn A. Well-Known Member

I think I'm one of the three adults in N. America w/out a cell phone, and I'm happy.

12. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

I think everybody has a good point, i guess the real question is, how many times is she away from you and not with an adult who doesnt have a cell phone, i think it is also too young, but if maybe you limit the phone, to who she can call, and she only has it when she is playing in the neighborhood at a local park or something without an adult or going to a friends house, see ya Dale:beer:

13. KillerCam

KillerCam KillerCam Racing

I have a 9 Yr old daughter and this just started coming up after my brother got his 9 yr old son a picture phone.

She has been asking like crazy when she is getting her cell phone, I think 9 is too young and I keep telling her 12yrs old.

14. 418

418 Expert #59

Welcome to the club. :D

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I've got three, a Blackberry and a PDA and two laptops and I'm totally miserable.

16. Redrodent1

Redrodent1 Well-Known Member

"For emergency use" just isn't valid. At 9.5 yrs old, she's more likely to get knocked upside the head by someone wanting to steal it.

17. CRAKitty

CRAKitty I taste like chicken

I've got a 12 year old daughter, and no way is she getting her own cell phone. When we upgraded phones last year, we kept an old one and keep a minimal plan on it.

If she's going to a friends house overnight she can take the phone. At this age, any place where she may need a cell phone, she also better be accompanied by an adult.

IMO, no 9 year old needs their own cell phone.

18. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

It's a major status symbol for kids. Myself I'd say no at that age but if she's going to have it, prepaid might teach her something useful.

19. Mad Max

Mad Max Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Its just one of those things that they show their friends to make them think they are cool. I personally don't think there is a need for one but if you can teach her proper cell phone etiquette I wouldn't think its such a bad idea.

20. atspeed

atspeed Praying Member

Bill Cosby wisdom:

Parents have got to stop parenting by cell phone.

He got in a stink for this attitude, but it makes sense.