1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for some input on some Alpinestar boots and gloves...

Discussion in 'General' started by Spooner, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Hey guys-just wondering who has some experience with the A-star supertech boots and gp-plus gloves.

I see that you can get the boots in a certain fugly color, but that they are perfed. I don't mind ugly gear as long as the function out weighs the ugliness :D. Does anyone actually have the fugly vented ones?? Does it actually make a difference? Otherwise I will just get ones that look a bit better.

I have also just seen the new Teknic Speedstar boots in person, but they rep did not have my size so I couldn't try them on. Anyone actually used them yet?

As far as the gloves, all the newer high-end models from them have the webbed pinky and ring finger. I think its probably a good idea because I have seen a lot of buddies blow open that part of the glove. When I try them on though it seems like it restricts movement quite a bit when you are using two fingers on the clutch, and even when just one-fingering the brakes. Do they stretch out enough to get comfortable? I have pretty girly hands and they were pretty damn tight on me-how do people with normal hands actually fit these things??

Thanks for any input!:beer:

-Spooner

2. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I wear the Speedstar boots. Comfy and protected me during my one low side last year.

3. Spooner

They have an all new one this year that is kangaroo skin. It has a pretty beefy internal braced/hinged booty thing (technical term) but I don't know that it looks very comfortable....

4. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

i am going to go grab the alpinestar gp pro gloves that i have told the guy to hang on for me here soon. i had them on for about an hour one day, and they definatly do get better, just need a little break-in. I did feel the gp plus, and thought they were more restricting than the pro, not sure why, just didnt like them

5. rabidsquirrel

rabidsquirrel Well-Known Member

GP Plus gloves are the shiznitt!

Boots are good to, but I have the cheaper roadracing boots, not the power ranger boots.

Based on my experience, I say get them.

Gotta break in the gloves for a while though. They'll be really tight at first, but after 4-6 rides, they were great.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I love the Alpine Star boots I have ..

7. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

:stupid:

8. Boots and gloves both succesfully crash tested several times. Theyre comfortable too.

9. Spooner

I have a 3 year old pair of GP-Tech boots that I love, but they have very little ankle protection. I have tried on the SMX Plus boots and couldn't believe how comfy they were-but the glove fit super tight! I know my pair of JR Speedmaster gloves were pretty tight too when I bought them but they fit awesome now, and have held up great, but I just want to try something new this time.

-Spooner

10. gixserman

gixserman Well-Known Member

I've got a set of supertech's
    I can't comment on the crashworthyness

getting them on and off can be a little tough some times but they are supposed to protect your ankles well.

I'd buy em again.

11. Spooner

Did anybody buy the ugly ass vented ones??

12. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Considering they're the only ones left in all sizes from this year in the warehouse at the Alpinestars distributor, and are currently on closeout .... I"m going to say, no. :D

- Roach

13. Spooner

Haha! You know I keep seeing that all these boots are being discontinued, but I haven't heard of anything new coming out from them...are they just doing the BNG thing or are there new boots rolling out? I have already seen a bunch of their new jackets and stuff that are coming out for '05, but I havent seen a thing about the boots. If they have some super cool new boot coming out I will wait, but if they are not much better and I can get a better deal on these then I don't want to wait...decisions decisions... Anybody heard anything new about the boots yet??

-Spoon

14. Vandal

Vandal Member

I have the fugly vented ones. I love them and would buy them again. I live in Florida so the venting helps and I've crashed twice and they're still ok and my feet and ankles are ok. They're worth it.

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

i have the S-MX boots. 3 yearsa, and a few or 5 crashes and they are still ok, just getting ugly and beat up. i'll buy another pair before VIR in March. i also have a pair or Tech6 MX boots for the dirt and another pair on the way for ice riding.
    i just bought a pair of the gloves(cant remember model)in july and they are breaking in nicely. i like Astars.

16. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Get the Supertechs. Well worth the money. I've crashed in mine about 10 times. I crashed at CMP in turn 8 and my foot got wedged in the bike somehow. My body was trying to turn while my foot and ankle were trapped. The end result was that my ankle stayed intact while my knee got messed up. The removable brace inside the boot is a huge plus I think. They definitely hold up well in a crash.

17. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

The A'Star boots are great, but my GP gloves split in two places from a minor lowside - but they were replaced free of charge.

Off topic, anyone know where I can get an A'Star cowboy hat like BenBoz wears?

[​IMG]