1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many of you folks drive old beaters?

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Dec 1, 2004.

1. JClay

JClay Gone Sailing...

1990 Mit Montero, 225K miles.... $900 off ebay. Runs great, drives great, no rust. But cant pull an enclosed.

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

72 VW Beetle
    2000 GMC Sonoma ZR2
    2004 Ford Focus

The bug is restored and sits at home under a a nice cover.

3. bigx1384

bigx1384 Banned

the CycleSupermarket Racing 1989 Chevy Astro van, 205,000 miles on original engine and tranny, A/C still blows nice and cold and it sleeps 2 comfortably,,,,:clap:

4. kds

kds Well-Known Member

I drove a mint 88 BMW 325i Convertible with 140K until Tuesday. Timing belt broke on the way home, which bent all the valves and cracked the head for a total of $2K damage. What sucks is the timing belt was replaced 20K miles ago. :( Not sure of a replacement yet.

FYI - I consider it a beater because I paid $5K for it 3+ years ago, and it's been the perfect commuter car for Atlanta traffic.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  5. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

96 Silverado. I don't really consider it a beater and I sure don't want to offend her but here's the story. Bought it a little more than 5 years ago with 39,000 miles. I now have almost 167,000. Been a good truck. Had to do top end work recently (remember the manifold gasket job I posted about?) and had a tranny rebuild a couple of months ago. New front brakes, bearings and rotors last year before the GNF. Need new mufflers and tips, new hood because this one is pulled in at the hinges (it blew up on me a couple of years ago because I forgot to latch it and drove away. Damn I was mad.), new tires and I would like to go ahead and put some custom wheels on at the same time the tires go on. I plan to keep the truck for a while so I might as well try to dress it up, right? But like I said, overall it's been a good truck and it's paid for and I want to buy a house so hopefully she runs strong for a long time to come.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  6. kangasj

kangasj Banned

94 Nissan Sentra, 190,000 and funs like a fine swiss watch,.......and looks like a pile of dog shit but hey, I'm not proud. 38-40 mpg, the perfect car to run the 70 miles a day back and forth to work. I'll drive it until the drivers side door falls off....which could happen any day now.

7. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

'82 Dodge Ram Van.

$50.

Anyone that has seen it knows that it is the Ultibeater.

8. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

97 Nissan Pickup count? 4wd, 5 spd and 86,000 miles on it. Standard cab.

:D

9. 418

418 Expert #59

A 1988 Honda CBR600 street/track bike. 29,000 miles and counting. The two times it left me "stranded" was my own damn fault for leaving the "parking" light on {have since taken the fookin' fuse out}. I've put 15K miles on it since April, and for the price I paid for it, I'm pretty impressed. It's defenitally a beater though. :D

10. Martin M

Martin M Former BRP Rider

'86 Nissan Pulsar , 250 K + on it. Everything works , has a good stereo and them racin' wheels on it :D .
    You have to carefully plan your passes since the eng. makes as much HP as a clapped out SV would make :) .

11. J.D. Ulrich

J.D. Ulrich Well-Known Member

1980 Volvo DL240 with 286,000 miles on the odo, I bought it used with about 90,000 miles on it, rebuilt the engine at just under 200,000 and the cylinder walls were still round, so I replaced the rings and bearings, had Houseworth do a Supersport valve job and slapped it back together. Used it as a kid learn-to-drive car but they're all grown up and moved out now so I drive it around when it's not too hot out (no a/c).

12. Chip

Chip Registered

yes.....

I have a 97 Nissan 4x4 kingcab with a 5 speed and 99786 miles on it....:beer:

13. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

wife has a 2001 f250 with 155k
    I have a 1991 f350 dual with 190k
    most of my travel is done on a 2000 drz w ?????miles.

14. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Those are great race haulers, though. I kept my '86 til it started taking 2 quarts to get to Tally. Last I heard, it still runs, still smokes.

15. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

96 Eldorado with 193000 miles.

16. cedestech1

cedestech1 Well-Known Member

'97 Isuzu trooper, 125K, runs like a top,
    '94 Dodge B350 maxi van,59K all the seats out, wood floor, indoor industrial pile carpet, 2 first class leather seats out of a MD80 for passengers, 2 removable E track type wheel chocks,

They both get 16mpg, the van does it with a small enclosed trailer at 80mph though

:)

Side note: just bought wife new Honda Oddessey last year.
    She had a '94 Anahiem suburban (way nice custom),
    sold it to a freind with 275K on the clock and the motor had
    never had ANYTHING done to it. period.

Gotta love Mobil one.

17. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

1996 F 150 with 155k on it. It sits a lot as I ride my 20 y/o looking Concours most days. The truck has cost me tires, fluids, u-joints and $5 for a tube of Magnum Steel to fix the water line that runs to the throttle body. Not really a beater but when everybody else at work(Ford plant) is driving a 2004 150, it feels like one.

18. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

2004 Chevy Avalanche 5,800 miles
    2003 Honda Accord 38,000 miles

OOPS ! wrong post

19. ash174

ash174 Well-Known Member

1989 Ford Bronco II 304000 miles.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn, OJ still running from the police?:D