1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Interesting Trend in Voting . . .

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by halowords, Nov 3, 2004.

1. racerlover

racerlover Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: An Interesting Trend in Voting . . .

I'll see that coke and raise ya Dr Pepper that we'll see either one of them in the race, and chances are good that the Dems will be looking at Hillary and a possible running mate of a new Senator from IL.

2. halowords

halowords Well-Known Member

What I think is that the above quote is the stupidest thing I've ever heard or read. :rolleyes:

I suppose you have a MBA or a doctorate to back up this claim?

-Cheers

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

What I think he is trying to say is that a college degree does not mean you are smart. It means you paid the tuition and showed up for the classes.

4. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

A college degree means you are educated. Nothing more. And yes I have a college degree. But I knew I was smart when I was a grunt in the Air Force......I just wasn't getting paid for my smarts until I got a degree. ;)

racerlvr, I think don't think that Republican ticket is conservative enough and I think that Democratic ticket is too Liberal. I'm guessing more like a Pat Buchanon type for the Repubs and a Conservative or "Southern" Democrat.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I have to agree with him. What keeps people out of college seems to be money more often than brains.

6. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

I didn't have any money but the state gave me a loan.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK, I guess that proves I am wrong.

8. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

All I'm saying is that in my case money didn't keep me out of college, may be different (and I'm sure it is) with others. However, I'm probally really stupid b/c I had to do more than just show up for class to get my degree.

9. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

That means you didn't get the liberal arts degree.

10. mad brad

mad brad Guest

it would be no surprise. all my professors ever did was pump liberal sunshine to their students.

the smart ones made up their own minds, and the rest are now liberal pieces of poopiano.

11. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I went to college during the Clinton administration and they were all so giddy they must have spared me the speel. Besides, after my sophmore year it was all math and science.

12. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

I think there has been more then enough said along my lines. Yes I am well educated and I have kids that are also.

ps if I had an MBA I would not tell anyone.

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I a have higher degree in a real world degree, and I supported Bush.

DC voting the way they did has little to do with the job Bush is doing. If you are wanting to stand by those numbers to mean anything significant, when was the last time DC voted any other way? DC is a 90-92% in your pocket vote for the Democrats.

14. ricerockt

ricerockt Active Member

They vote for the Dem's in DC because they like having a job. Since most people in DC work for the government and Democrats=big government, then it makes sense that they are going to vote Democrat.

15. halowords

halowords Well-Known Member

I still disagree with a blanket statement about college being about money. Some classes/professors, and probably even some colleges, yes, but I had to bust my balls to get through some of my classes. My wife doubly so in grad school; it was a pretty brutal research and statistics based program that required her to write a pretty thick book; I helped proofread it and showed her how to format some of the charts based on 1st-person research she did.

But no, I wasn't equating anyone without a college degree as stupid, or all college graduates as smart, or myself as an intellectual snob.

-Cheers

16. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

*Classic example* of book smart *VS* street smart.....

- Cheers

17. blueduc37

blueduc37 Well-Known Member

On the subject of voters with post-graduate degrees going 2-1 for Kerry, I am reminded of a previous job I had. I did outside sales in a university town for 8 years. I quickly learned two things about selling to PhD's: 1)They'd buy if you gave them a long complicated sales pitch and; 2)They'd buy if you could finance it for them.

I studied this for about six months and realized that they would do what they were told ("Sign Here") if it sounded like you knew more about the subject than they did and especially if it sounded complex - even if it didn't make sense. (I was an honest salesman, but you can tell when someone doesn't get it. ) It seems they spent so much time being told what to think while getting educated that it was now a habit to accept an idea without questioning. They were always the easiest sales.

The financing was neccesary because they lived like this, buying everything from sales people and always financing, thus they never had any actual money since it was all used up making payments.

Just a thought.