cable lube

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Present, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Present

Present Well-Known Member

was feeling some drag in a new throttle cable i installed the other day, and a friend stopped by who suggested using grease to lube it. it didn't help, so i talked to a mech who recommended graphite instead.

what is the best product to use, and can i clean my cable if needed somehow to switch, or should i purchase a new cable?

pres

2. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

If it is a new throttle cable most likely when you installed it you have a kink in it and not run exactly as the oringial one was installed. As far as lube get cable lube and a cable luber( it is a little device that clamps down on the cable/sheath and then has a fitting for the straw from aerosol to force the lube down the cable, I think Pro-Motion makes it). Hang vertical overnight, check for smooth movement before installing that you have no permament kinks in cable/sheath and then install and be sure it all operates freely before connecting ends, it could be a bound up throttle assembly or a broken or damaged throttle tube as well.

3. Present

Present Well-Known Member

ok,

it works fine unless i try to take some of the slack out. then it starts to bind going back to closed position.

i'll try to find a lube system.

thx