1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight Concerns

Discussion in 'Tech' started by nosquidz, Sep 3, 2004.

1. nosquidz

nosquidz Member

What are some things I can do do reduce a lot of weight - besides taking out the charging system? I have a '00 r6 and want to get it down to about 370lbs wet if possible. I'm new to the racing scene, but am already obsessed. Preferrably I would like to do inexpensive mod's, my wallet is only so thin as it is. Thanks for your help fellas -

Brian

2. toeslider

toeslider Where is Watkinsville?

How much money do you want to spend? The regular race prep should get you down to into the 380s. Fiberglass bodywork and fairing stay. Get rid of all the plastic pieces and front dash assy. Race bikes don't really need a radiator fan. 520 chain and sprocket conversion. After that it gets a good bit more expensive. Example-titanium pieces, drilled rear brake rotors, alumium aftermarket subframes, mag. wheels and carbon fiber tanks. You get the picture.

3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Don't take off the charging system. Have you raced before? Experence?

4. nosquidz

nosquidz Member

I have some racing experience, but not enough to brag about. I know about the 'basic' race-prep, but I know there are some underground tricks for weight reduction. I just don't know any! Thanks :confused:

Brian

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

The basics,520 conversion,bodywork.
    You can get all crazy, but the money is better spent on track time, and schools.You can knock seconds off your lap times by being a better rider.Weight reduction might net you tenths of a second.

6. Smithjeb

Smithjeb Well-Known Member

I don't know much about weight reduction...but here's a trick...

Go do some trackdays...get behind a faster rider and have him show the good lines and then try and follow him around, even better get into a good school with some quality instruction

I took Code Race a couple years back. It's an eye opener when you get passed by a stock EX500 on street tires when your riding a race prepped ZX6R with 208GP's.

Good instruction with knock seconds off your time when your starting out.

or you could buy a carbon fiber tank and still get lapped twice :Poke:

7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

nosquidz, how much do you weigh? It's cheaper taking pounds off the rider than off the bike.

8. CUDA

CUDA Well-Known Member

Atkins anyone.

9. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Weight reduction is about the LEAST cost-effective way to decrease lap times. Track time and tires are the best places to spend your money.